Clear All

Oak and Gewurztraminer?

NO WAY!!

Steve
    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
      Does everybody add the oak supplied to these kits (as in, is it essential for the true Gewurztraminer taste) ?
      As with most kits it's optional, I don't think it's a massive contributer to this style as say a Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer is usualy a purfumed bouquet with a slightly spicy finish. So if you dislike oak you may be as well to leave it out.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Ok i'll save it for something else. I'll get it on tomorrow along with the dolcetto

Comment

I started the Beaverdale Gewurztraminer 30 bottle kit just under 2 weeks ago. Standard kit instructions from Beaverdale.

I also changed the yeast - and used Lalvin K1V-1116; my initial thoughts on this is that this particualr strain of yeast should promote the "fruityness" more of the Gerty (like a good Alsace Gerty, as opposed to a German Gerty).

Anyway, it has been fermenting well - donw to sg 1000 a few days ago. I'm away from home for a couple of days, so i'll leave it to do its thing.

I'll post back here after finings, and in a month or so after racking and initial taste. Fingers crossed on this one as i like a good Alsace white . . .

Owl.
          A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Working...
          X