• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime Wine

Here are two lime wine recipes that I've copied from the WinePress forum:

LIME WINE RECIPE - 5 GALLONS

Ingredients:
    2 ½ quarts of fresh squeezed lime juice
    Yeast nutrient (recommended dosage for 5 gallons)
    Pectic enzyme (recommended dosage for 5 gallons)
    ¼ teaspoon potassium metabisulfite
    1 tsp. acid blend or tartaric acid
    3 to 4 gallons of filtered water (depending upon your acid check)
    10 to 16 cups of sugar (depending upon brix level of juice)
    Champagne yeast
    ½ to 1 cup lime zest (optional)

Procedure:
    1. Sanitize a 5-gallon carboy
    2. Add the lime juice to carboy
    3. Add potassium metabisulfite
    4. Add 1 gallon of heated water with 4 ½ c. of the sugar dissolved.
    5. Check the brix level at this point. You should target for 22 or 23 brix. If the brix are low, you will need to add sugar to each gallon of water until
    6. Check the acid level, which should still be quite high at this point. Add the water gradually until you reach the desired acid level which should be anywhere between .5% to .9% acid. At the same same time you will also be adding the amount of sugar needed to raise your brix level.
    7. After the acid & brix levels are reached, add the pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient and 1 tsp.of acid blend
    8. Fit with an airlock
    9. Add the yeast the next day which has been dissolved in ¼ c. warm water.
    10. Let ferment until dry (about 5 to 7 days)*
    11. Add 2 teaspoons of potassium sorbate and stir. The potassium sorbate stops fermentation. Let it sit until the wine clears and then rack the wine off the must.
    12. You can also add a clearing agent which will settle more of the must to the bottom.
    13. Adjust to taste by adding sugar.
    14. Bottle

Notes:* If fermentation does not start after a few days, add another teaspoon of yeast nutrient

Lime Wine Recipe

10 ripe limes, plus zest ( i did not use key limes, just regular grocery store variety)
    4.5 cups sugar (I may have had to increase it...starting SG was 1.09)
    water to one gallon
    1/4 tsp tannin
    1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
    1 tsp nutrient
    1 campden tablet
    champagne yeast

Boil water, dissolve sugar
    Put juice, pulp, zest in bag, add to primary, pour sugar water over.
    Allow to cool, add other ingredients except pectic and yeast
    Wait 8 hours, add pectic
    Make up yeast starter, add yeast after at least another 8 hours.
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Jack Keller's Lime Wine Recipes

2X Jack Keller’s Lime Wine Recipe
    Key Limes
    I made a key lime wine two years ago and put it away to age. My wife discovered it this summer and now it is history and I have been tasked with making more -- much more.
    Key limes (Citrus aurantifolia), also known as Mexican and West Indian limes, are believed to be the true native lime, probably originating in Indonesia or Malaysia. They migrated westward to the Mediterranean with the Arabs, and to southwestern Europe with returning Crusaders. Columbus brought citrus fruits to the West Indies on his second voyage and today they are grown throughout the tropics around the world. Limes are closely related to lemons. Key limes are small, yellow-green in color, seedy, sour, and grow on thorny, cold sensitive trees.
    The large, green, mostly seedless limes found in your supermarket are Persian limes (Citrus latifolia), a hybrid developed about a hundred years ago. Their fruit is larger than key limes, more disease resistant, and is protected by a thicker rind. Their tree is thornless and therefore more commercially desirable, but the fruit are actually less aromatic and flavorful than key limes. They are picked slightly immature, while still green in color, and are usually consumed in that state because people think the lime color is the color of their ripeness. In truth,they turn yellow when fully ripe and can be visually confused with lemons. Both key and Persian limes have a higher sugar and citric acid content than lemons, with key limes being more acidic than the Persian hybrid. Other limes include the Mandarin lime (Citrus limonia), the Kaffir, makrut, or magrood lime (Citrus hystrix), sweet lime (Citrus limetta), Palestinian sweet lime (Citrus limettioides ), and various Australian, Spanish and other limes.

Key Lime Wine
    I've made wine with at least four different kinds of lime, but the key lime, in my opinion, makes the best. It takes 14-16 key limes to make a pound of raw fruit. Each lime is about 40% juice. I usually buy them in 2-pound mesh bags for $2 a bag, but the price can be more or less. This recipe makes one gallon of wine.
    • zest from 10 key limes
    • juice from 1 pound of key limes
    • 1 pound ripe bananas
    • 2 1/2 pounds sugar
    • 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
    • 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
    • 1/4 teaspoon powdered grape tannin
    • 3 1/2 quarts water
    • wine yeast
    Collect the zest from 10 key limes and then juice the entire pound. Put zest, juice and sugar in primary. Cut the bananas into 1/2 inch pieces and bring to a boil in 1 quart of water. Hold the boil for 25 minutes. Skim off any scum on the surface and drain the liquid into the primary over the sugar. Discard the pulp without squeezing. Add 2 1/2 quarts additional water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Keep primary covered with sanitized cloth. When wine cools to lukewarm, add remaining ingredients (except yeast) and stir until integrated. When cooled to room temperature, add activated yeast and stir daily until vigorous fermentation starts. Ferment until vigorous fermentation subsides and transfer to secondary. Top up to within 3 inches of mouth of secondary and attach airlock. After one week, top up to within 3/4 inch of bung. Wait 3 weeks and rack, top up and reattach airlock. Repeat every 30 days until wine is clear and no new sediments are deposited. Add one finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet and let bulk age 3 months. Stabilize and sweeten to taste if desired. Bottle and set aside to age. Do NOT taste this wine for at least 1 year -- 2 years if you have real willpower. It will be worth the wait, but you will hate yourself if you don't make 5 gallons initially. [Author's own recipe]

Persian Lime Wine
    As I said before, I've made wine with at least four different kinds of lime, but the key lime, in my opinion, makes the best. The Persian lime makes the next best wine. Before I get to the recipe, I need to say that I do not know how many limes it took to make this wine. I recorded the number, but seem to have lost the log entry for this wine. However, an email I sent out last January contains the information below. This recipe makes one gallon of wine.
    • zest from several limes
    • 1 7/8 cups lime juice
    • 1 can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice frozen concentrate
    • 2 pounds sugar
    • 2/3 teaspoon pectic enzyme
    • 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
    • 1/4 teaspoon powdered grape tannin
    • 3 quarts water
    • wine yeast
    I found out that freezing the limes made it much easier to obtain the zest. When the limes thawed, the juiced easily. Put zest, juice, sugar, and grape concentrate in primary. Bring 3 cups water to boil and add to primary, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add remaining water and cover primary with sanitized cloth until temperature is about 90 degrees F., then stir in pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient and grape tannin. Make a yeast starter solution and wait 8 hours. Add activated yeast and stir every 6-8 hours until vigorous fermentation starts. Ferment until vigorous fermentation subsides and transfer to secondary. Top up to within 3 inches of mouth of secondary and attach airlock. After one week, top up to within 3/4 inch of bung. Wait 3 weeks and rack, top up and reattach airlock. Repeat every 30 days until wine is clear and no new sediments form. Add one finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet and let bulk age 3 months. Stabilize and sweeten to taste if desired. Wait 30 days, bottle and set aside to age. Age at least one year in bottles. [Author's own recipe]
    Last edited by Her Lushness; 21-12-2008, 11:40 AM.
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I think the first recipe (the one calling for 2½ qts) is one I had recently. It's quite nice, and not nearly as strong as you might think.

Keep in mind that these recipes all use US measurements, not imperial, so you'll have to adjust accordingly.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        Keep in mind that these recipes all use US measurements, not imperial, so you'll have to adjust accordingly.
        Yup, 6 US gallons = 5 Imperial gallons.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Working...
        X