Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much wine do you plan to make in 2009?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much wine do you plan to make in 2009?

The initial guestimate on my 2009 output is 60 gallons. I have 3x5 gallon kits to start, probably 10 gallons from grapefest and quite a few 1 gallon bits and bobs to make. Things soon start to add up!
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

I'm planning to ramp up considerably in 2009. This year (2008) I purchased about 800 lbs (360 kg) of various red grapes and 40 gallons of white juices. It was too many varieties and I'm tired of pi$$ing around with a lot of small batches. Seems like I never have enough of any single wine to put away for more than 2 years before it's gone. So I am going to make at least one mega-batch of something in '09.

Right now I am thinking a half US ton (454 kg) of Zinfandel, some Petite Sirah to blend with it, and a 225L Minnesota oak barrel to put it all in. I will definitely still be making some smaller batches as well, but would like to start making one large batch every year that will be allocated for long term aging.
    Last edited by NorthernWiner; 31-12-2008, 03:23 PM.
    Steve

Comment

I'm currently making about 4-5 gallons a month and I guess that will continue so I'd estimate around 45-60 gallons in 2009. I can see a few more of those being mead next year. I seem to have gotten a taste for the stuff.

I might try making some beer in the summer too. Hopefully it'll be warm enough out side that it can ferment in the shed as I don't have that much room indoors.

Comment

Pass!

Next question please Magnus (or John, if you don't remember when Magnus Magnusson hosted mastermind)

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I too plan to make bigger batches of the stuff that I made in 2008 that tastes ok. As I don't have unlimited space, I'll have to stick to 5 gallon batches, and try to age at least some of it for a couple of years or longer.
          I'm having fun tasting some of the wines that I made in the summer... and I seem to be spending a lot of time feeling tiddly this week, which is good coz my beloved OH has MAN FLU, and is driving me mad hanging around sniffing and making horrible noises at me for sympathy. I've put him to bed with a DVD and one of the dogs for company...
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
            -----%<-----
            my beloved OH has MAN FLU, and is driving me mad hanging around sniffing and making horrible noises at me for sympathy.
            -----%<-----
            You could always be a bit on the harsh side, and remind him that "sympathy" is in the dictionary, between sh1t and syphilis

Either that, or the "smallest violin in the world" gesture!

Though if his "impersonation" of "man flu" is like the rest of us, it'd probably go down, like a pork chop in a synagogue!

regards

JtFB
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks for your "concern", but he's rallied round, lured out of bed by the smell of home made enchiladas, home made guacamole and home made tomato salsa... and the copious amounts of chilli I put in everything seems to have cleared his head somewhat!
              In the meantime I've been "sipping" my Bombay Sapphire and tonic.
              HRH Her Lushness

Comment

A couple of shakes of habanero sauce on those enchiladas will clear out his sinuses - I guarantee it.

(It's also hard to pi$$ and moan when your mouth is on fire. )
                Steve

Comment

hahaha, yes, I've got some VERY hot chilli sauce from the Chilli shop in LA, that usually does the job...
                  HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I guess it depends what 'make' means. Start or Finish?

I have 5 kits on the go (23 litres each), and 4 litres of apple grape Number #1 wine. For a total of 116 litres or 26 Imperial gallons to finish in 2009.

I have five kits on order for January & March 2009, so another 115 litres or 25 Imp gallons to start. Plus whatever else I get into. Probably will make 5 gallons of a mist wine (Blackberry Merlot?) for family and wine jelly purposes. Although there's a Sangria Zinfandel Blush wine kit that I would like to try. (My wife and I are diabetic, so stay away from sweet wines.)

Will make at least one batch (5 gallons again) of beer (the kit is in my cold room waiting), and probably more like three kits over the year.

Steve
                    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
                      I guess it depends what 'make' means. Start or Finish?

I have 5 kits on the go (23 litres each), and 4 litres of apple grape Number #1 wine. For a total of 116 litres or 26 Imperial gallons to finish in 2009.

I have five kits on order for January & March 2009, so another 115 litres or 25 Imp gallons to start. Plus whatever else I get into. Probably will make 5 gallons of a mist wine (Blackberry Merlot?) for family and wine jelly purposes. Although there's a Sangria Zinfandel Blush wine kit that I would like to try. (My wife and I are diabetic, so stay away from sweet wines.)

Will make at least one batch (5 gallons again) of beer (the kit is in my cold room waiting), and probably more like three kits over the year.

Steve
                      Hadn't thought of it like that Steve, because unlike lots here, I don't make "kit" wines.

Dunno why, but it might be that I feel that the various wine making regions will do a better job than I could.

That said, if anyone can recommend any kits that will replicate St. Emillion, Margaux and of course a drop of the old "9th Manor house of the Pope" then I might still give it a try...........

Also, it's pretty dependant as to how much time I get to pick fruit when it's in season - unless I can find it in bulk and buy it!

regards

JtFB

p.s. @ HL, why go all the way to LA to find a chilli sauce when it's probably cheaper to pay the postage and get it locally ?

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                        p.s. @ HL, why go all the way to LA to find a chilli sauce when it's probably cheaper to pay the postage and get it locally ?
                        Very funny! I got the chilli sauce last time I was in LA... and as I go there fairly often, I stock up when I can.
                        HRH Her Lushness

Comment

"9th Manor house of the Pope"
                          Sort of. I assume you're referring to Châteauneuf-du-Pape, but in this instance the "neuf" means "new", and not "nine" - although the spelling is the same.

The word "Châteauneuf" itself is also a French surname that's the equivalent of the English name "Newcastle".

You're correct, however, that it refers to the Pope's manor house or castle. Pope Clement the 5th, who temporarily moved the papacy to Avignon in the 12th century, needed a new manor. The name has stuck to this day.
                          Steve

Comment

If this is the wine you are referring to John Châteauneuf-du-Pape The wine that is in kit form to be like it is Called Vieux Chateau Duo Roi . This one seems to be popular amoungs U-Brewers.
                            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Dunno why, but it might be that I feel that the various wine making regions will do a better job than I could.
                              JtFB:
                              My taste buds say that the kits are better than MANY of the commercial wines. Personal preference obviously.

That said, if anyone can recommend any kits that will replicate St. Emillion, Margaux and of course a drop of the old "9th Manor house of the Pope" then I might still give it a try...........
                              From somewhere, I got the idea that you can get one gallon California Connoisseur kits in the UK. If CalConn Vieux Chateau du Roi (aka VCR or VCdR) is available, that would be a decent one to try. [Wish I could get one gallon Cal Conn kits in Canada. If they're packaged in Canada, it's done about 20 minutes from where I live.]

Steve
                              the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                              "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Working...
                              X