Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jay View Post
    well it works for him.
    Maybe it did, but also remember that C.J.J.Berry was more of a journalist than a wine maker, his methods are out dated and often confusing to the wine maker of today, his principles in general were sound, but anything other than that is much debated.
    C.J.J.Berry is the reason why 90% of new wine makers end up with stuck ferments, the recipes in his books (many not his) are outdated and ask for amounts of sugar that could not possibly be expected to ferment soundly.
    The sad part is, that C.J.J.Berry is seen in the UK as the wine making God, or at least his books are. The other sad thing is that it's still the best selling book in this country and how many failed hobbyists have followed it.
    Sorry to be a downer, but this guy's book should be removed from sale.

There we go that's my party polital broadcast over!
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

i use 6 tabs with 2 teaspoons of acid but its only what i read in a book by c.j.j.berry page 18. hong
      Last edited by jay; 25-02-2009, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
        Maybe it did, but also remember that C.J.J.Berry was more of a journalist than a wine maker, his methods are out dated and often confusing to the wine maker of today, his principles in general were sound, but anything other than that is much debated.
        C.J.J.Berry is the reason why 90% of new wine makers end up with stuck ferments, the recipes in his books (many not his) are outdated and ask for amounts of sugar that could not possibly be expected to ferment soundly.
        The sad part is, that C.J.J.Berry is seen in the UK as the wine making God, or at least his books are. The other sad thing is that it's still the best selling book in this country and how many failed hobbyists have followed it.
        Sorry to be a downer, but this guy's book should be removed from sale.

There we go that's my party polital broadcast over!
        Duff is correct The books are out of date. The sugar we use today is much more refined so when you add as much as listed in and old recipe your gravity will be higher than expected. We also have more science behind what we do these days. Things have been researched and developed that were not available when these books were written. We have other things available for sanitizing that were not available many of these a more environmentally friendly than some of the old sanitizers back then and easier to use as well. The only writer from back when that is still relevant today is Shakespeare life's ebb and flow and peoples interaction with each other is still relevant but not much else.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

which takes me back to page 1 question 1 of this debate. wat is a good home made sanitizer to use.

Comment

100 grammes of sulphite to 1 litre of water....not campden tablets.
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

thank you how long will it keep.

Comment

6 months, maybe more, use it to keep your fermenters sweet, 5 to 10 ml in each whilst in storage is the business. Just keep them airtight As a spray bottle it should keep just as long provided not exposed to the air or it will lose it's potency.
                Last edited by Duffbeer; 25-02-2009, 11:48 PM.
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

thanks for that i shall switch to this method . can you allso tell me what is a good upto date book to get .

Comment

There are many 'good' books Progressive wine making by Peter Duncan & Brian Acton, modern and up to date, possibly gets a lttle too technical at times, but very informative.
                    The complete book of wine making by H.E.Bravery, an older book, but follows more up to date methods, and a little easier reading than the above.
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Do we have a "book list" page anywhere?

It might be nice to post recomendations and do a little write up about a book so that people new to the hobby have half a chance of getting useful books rather than wasting valuable pennies on books that aren't much use - like I did when I started out!
                      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I have a book by a Mrs Gennery-Taylor
                        Publish date MCMLVII (which I think is 1957)

There's a recipe for Bullace Plum Wine which I find a little bizzare

Taken from the text.....

Pour cold water over the fruit and stir well with a plastic spoon.
                        Cover the bucket and leave for about three weeks (without further stirring) so that the thick mould that forms is not disturbed.
                        A warm room will be the best place while the mould forms.

Remove the mould carefully, in one piece if possible. Try to avoid little pieces breaking off into the wine. Then strain the liquid off into another plastic bucket.

It continues normally then there is this footnote....

Forming a mould in the process of wine making was an important part of the process in bygone days. This recipe combines the old-fashioned and tested procedure with more modern methods. It is included not only for the fine taste of the wine but for the fun of seeing how wine used to be made.
                        Although looking at the mould may be a very unpleasant experience and it does not seem possible that this horrible concoction can turn into a clear refreshing wine, I can assure you it can, so do not be discouraged !

I dont fancy trying this myself....
                        But if anyone wants the recipe.....
                        I wish I was a glow worm
                        Cos a glow worm's never glum
                        It's hard to be unhappy
                        When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Now that is indeed a good idea... I bought a cheap copy of Mr Berrys book and I find it all a but old hat.

Now where can I pick up a wooden sherry cask from my local off license together with a hogshead of a cider barrel?

Tesco maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                            Do we have a "book list" page anywhere?

It might be nice to post recomendations and do a little write up about a book so that people new to the hobby have half a chance of getting useful books rather than wasting valuable pennies on books that aren't much use - like I did when I started out!
                            Here we go, wines at home book review in the resources area
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                              Here we go, wines at home book review in the resources area
                              Good man, I knew the hint would work!
                              HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

HLush says "jump" Duff says "how high"
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X