Veux Chateau Du Roi - Wineworks Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veux Chateau Du Roi - Wineworks Superior

This is Winework's own-label 'superior' offering. The boss man told me it's on a par with a Beaverdale kit. It is priced similarly.

The box contains what you'd expect: concentrate (7.5 litres?), oak, yeast, stabiliser, finings.

Instructions for primary fermentation are nice and clear, and everything is simple - add concentrate, oak, water (warm and cold to get the right temp), stir well, yeast, stir, job done.

The instruction sheet isn't so clear for secondary onwards though - it is fine for anyone who has made one or two kits, but it might confuse an absolute novice.

Anyway, more as the kit progresses.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

VCDR is good stuff, the Beaverdale version is good and the WineExpert version is excellent.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I wonder which Canadian kit manufacturer makes the Wineworks Superior kits.

Steve
      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I did a California Connoisseur vcdr, it was horrible. Not sure if it was infected or just rubbish. Luckily it was only a 6 bottle kit. Hopefully Petes will turn out better..

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
          I wonder which Canadian kit manufacturer makes the Wineworks Superior kits.

Steve

Well, some of the packaging looks suspiciously like Beaverdale.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
            In that case, I wonder what Canadian wine kit company does Beaverdale. (Sorry this web-site is the only place that I have heard of Beaverdale.)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
              I did a California Connoisseur vcdr, it was horrible. Not sure if it was infected or just rubbish. Luckily it was only a 6 bottle kit. Hopefully Petes will turn out better..
              Just out of interest what was wrong? Presumably you followed the instructions (more or less). How long kit start to drinking?

When I had the store, several customers reported VCDR (Vieux Chateau du Roi aka Chateuneuf du Pape) required more aging than some of the other varieties.

It's a wine that I have thought about making. Last year I swapped a couple of bottles with an acquaintance for a couple of Cal Conn VCDRs. Unfortunately he had mixed up the bottles from two batches. One was about 3 months old, and the other less than a month. The wine tasted fine to my wife & I. A little less body than the better kits, but that's to be expected.

Steve

Comment

it was thin on body and just didn't taste nice at all. it was about 8 to 10 months in the bottle I guess. I may still have one in the rack, I take it to Bobs next time for an expert view.

Comment

Progress report:

After 2 months in the bottle, I have a light bodied red, little tannin or oak, smooth-ish with no off-tastes.

Possibly a decent summer BBQ red, maybe it needs a lot more ageing
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                    Thats because it is...re-packaged.

N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

3 months after bottling and ....

.... I'm not impressed

Devoid of any body or real taste. This would have to improve a heck of a lot in the next couple of months to be worth it.
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
                        In that case, I wonder what Canadian wine kit company does Beaverdale. (Sorry this web-site is the only place that I have heard of Beaverdale.)

Steve
                        I believe Vineco is the parent company Steve
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          I believe Vineco is the parent company Steve
                          So they are probably packaged about 20 minutes from me. I gotta try to get a part time job there, so that I can see what else they are doing in there.

Steve

Comment

Progress: chill the wine, and suddenly I have a decent Rosé
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Result!
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X