Organic Turbo Cider - The making pt 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Turbo Cider - The making pt 1

I normally make my cider with standard supermaket juice and the cheapest, blended honey, and it's good. I have experimented with using the cheapest juice and it's not so good. This time I decided to go in the other direction and see what it was like with better ingredients...
    I decided to take photos cos I just gave some spare kit to a friend who wanted to have a go at home brew and cos we live so far apart, I couldn't be there to show the ropes. I emailed the photos you're about to see, about 12 hours before he started out. That's why I included the cleansing pics.

The recipe: -
    5 litres Tesco Organic Pressed Apple Juice
    1 340g jar Organic New Zealand Forest honey
    1 tsp yeast nutrient (tronozymol)
    Half sachet of yeast (Gervin varietal B) - out of date
    Start date Friday 13-02-09 pm

Cleaning the kit...
    1 - Ingredients.JPG

2 - Start the cleansing.JPG

4 - Cleaning.JPG

5 -Reusing the cleansing fluid.JPG

6 - Sterlise the kit.JPG

Organic Turbo Cider - The making pt 2

I added all the juice to the bottle, mostly to see how much I could fit in, cos it's a new betterbottle and I'd not used one before.

Then I disolved the honey in the juice, put about 3 litres the fermenter and the rest in a clean 2 ltr pet.

I took a hydrometer reading, bout 1064. Yum.
    Added nutrient...
    Attached Files

Comment

Added the yeast, slightly annoyed that it was out of date, but hopeful.

Prepared an eighth of a campden tablet for the bubbler, and put boiled (but cool) water in it. Here we are ready to go...
      It got put in my brew room nestled with a ginger wine, in a brew belt.
      12 hours later, you can see the froth on the top...
      Attached Files

Comment

Organic Turbo Cider - The making pt 4

Here's the full glory of my insulated brew room. I'm so ashamed. What you see is the sun reflector from the car wrapped round the cider and bubblewrap. It's effective though!

After 3 days I topped the cider up and by yesterday it was at 1003. I racked it into a clean demi and the yeast is settling out nicely. The last pic was taken today, Saturday 21-02-09 pm.

One thing I don't know is whether it'll actually clear. The juice was cloudy to begin with so we'll have to wait and see. I will post another pic though, along with the results of the tasting - are expensive ingredients worth it? This will come out at about £1.10 per 568ml bottle...
        Attached Files

Comment

look at the last pic - the silver surfer obviously approves

Comment

Actually I think he's trying to sneak a slurp.
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Silver Slurper

Comment

Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Well done Aid, an excellent tutorial there.

Especially for those of us who are "more apples than grain"

The only thing that went through my head was that by using that kind of apple juice it wouldn't have the "bite" that "proper" cider has i.e. the difference in the kind of apples used.

There's a good link here that explains the difference and also knowing that west country cider is almost all "cider" apples, whereas kentish cider is often/usually a mix of sharp/sweet apples and more "wine like" meant that I was wondering if you'd tried using some tannin in the recipe ?

regards

JtFB
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I agree with the apple vairety & blend point. I grew up near a lovely, little, Somerset cider farm called Burrow Hill. Nothing I've made from juice comes close to that authentica flavour. That said, it does compare very well against some of the supermarket bottled ciders.

I've just finished a 24 litre batch of standard, when that's done with I'm going to try two batches side by side, one with tanin and one without. I will post results, but it's gonna be three months or so...

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post, the standard recipe I uses only 200g honey, not a full 340g jar. I'm deliberately making a giant this time. The 200g gives 5.5-6.5% as I recall and it very acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Aid View Post
                      Here's the full glory of my insulated brew room. I'm so ashamed. What you see is the sun reflector from the car wrapped round the cider and bubblewrap. It's effective though!
                      Originally posted by Aid View Post

After 3 days I topped the cider up and by yesterday it was at 1003. I racked it into a clean demi and the yeast is settling out nicely. The last pic was taken today, Saturday 21-02-09 pm.

One thing I don't know is whether it'll actually clear. The juice was cloudy to begin with so we'll have to wait and see. I will post another pic though, along with the results of the tasting - are expensive ingredients worth it? This will come out at about £1.10 per 568ml bottle...
                      have you tried warpping your Dj's in tin foil shiney side in also if you hav an old duvet cover with a high tog rating ie 13+ makes a great insulator.

Comment

I retired the car visor for some radiator-reflector sheet but I'd really like to make an area for them that I can control with a thermostat. Having trouble finding someone who can tell me how to make a small-scale solution though.

Comment

Nice thread AID, just started some of this myself, not with organic juice, just I was looking for something to do with a little 250g bottle of honey I had

Comment

So here's a pic of what I made tonight, I ended up using 500g of honey. Also made a Wine #1 using Pineapple juice and WGJ

What a glorious colour the cider is , first time brewing with honey.

Turbo Cider and Pineapple wine #1

Last edited by Tuco; 25-02-2009, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Keep an eye on them when the yeast kicks in, you might need to transfer some out when it starts frothing.
                              I wish I was a glow worm
                              Cos a glow worm's never glum
                              It's hard to be unhappy
                              When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Working...
                              X