Organic Turbo Cider - The making pt 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will do Zeb thanks

The yeast I used doesn't usually produce a lot of foam (Gervin Yeast - No. 3 )

Comment

Send us a frothy pic if it kicks off. Every time I use pineapple, the stuff waits till I turn my back before launching out of the fermenter!

Comment

Originally posted by Aid View Post
        Send us a frothy pic if it kicks off. Every time I use pineapple, the stuff waits till I turn my back before launching out of the fermenter!
        You were right, nothing major, but foam is coming up through the airlock

What can I do just keep washing the airlock out and wait until it dies down?

Comment

I would syphon some out into a PET bottle and put a bit of kitchen roll over the neck or stuff a bit of cotton wool in.
          I wish I was a glow worm
          Cos a glow worm's never glum
          It's hard to be unhappy
          When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

I agree with Zebedee, draw some off into a bottle for a day or so, just to get the youthful vigour out the way.

Comment

I tried to top it up with the wine from the PET bottle and it started foaming up again, so I split it into 2 demijohns, will it be okay to keep them there for a day or two?

Comment

It sure will, once it subsides then mix them back together, this is why we use fermenting buckets, they allow for that extra foaming.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                  It sure will, once it subsides then mix them back together, this is why we use fermenting buckets, they allow for that extra foaming.
                  I'll do that in future, just on the new winemaker wine #1 it was put straight into a dj, but I suppose it's better to start in a bucket when using a juice like pineapple as it seems to foam up a lot more than apple juice

Comment

Not a problem with starting juice wines in D/J, you just need to leave about 1/3rd empty to allow for foaming, but a bucket means you can make just over the gallon and have some reserve for topping without worrying about overflowing.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I always make a bit extra.
                      I start in a bucket, then rack to a 5ltr Pet.
                      Then to a DJ as it clears.
                      I wish I was a glow worm
                      Cos a glow worm's never glum
                      It's hard to be unhappy
                      When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

How is your honey turbo going Aid? mine is on a nice rolling ferment

Comment

It finished fermenting by last weekend, I racked and let it settle for three or four days and the bottled it on 25th with 1/2 tsp of honey per 568ml brown bottle. Still no idea if it'll clear
                          How's did the pineapple wine? Has it calmed down?

Comment

Yeah, gonna put them back together tonight

Comment

Organic Turbo Cider Pt 5 - Early results

To recap: I made a strong up-market version of turbo cider. The principle ingredients were:-
                              5 litres Tesco Organic Pressed Apple Juice
                              1 340g jar Organic New Zealand Forest honey

Started on 13-2-09 @ 1064
                              Finished on 21-2-09 @ 1003
                              Bottled on 25-2-09 with 1/2 tsp honey
                              Tested on 03-03-09

I managed to wait a full 6 days before trying it but it's got some fizz already.

It's not going to clear - this one is going to stay cloudy. I will upload a picture when I open the next bottle.

The flavour and aroma is full of the honey. It was a full bodied honey and it's really coming through in the cider. Next to the standard juice and honey recipe it's miles ahead. This is gorgeous cider, I'm proud to have made it. BUT...
                              I got the calculation of the price wrong. The cider would cost about £2/pt.
                              It's worth it for a treat, but my next move is to downgrade the apple juice to standard (or the next one up) but keep the quality honey. I feel the full flavour of the honey is the key factor in it's taste - the next batch will tell.

Comment

Here's what it looks like. Cloudy but good.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X