Solomon Grundy - Elderflower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon Grundy - Elderflower

I love the youngs elderflower so decided to try this kit for a comparison.

The wine did not (just as I thought) fully ferment and clear in the 7 days it claims on the box. It took around 22 days to fully clear.

I transfered the clear wine into a DJ as instructed, the instructions then say to backsweeten with household sugar. I tasted the wine first and it was very dry verging on bitter. It said on the instructions that I'd need 400g sugar for a medium sweet wine. As I like my wines dry I thought I'd just add 100g of sugar to get rid of the slightly bitter taste and provide a slight amount of sweetness.

Well, much to my suprise I now have a very very sweet wine, easily over medium sweet. I would have only added about 20g of sugar (maximum) in hindsight. I'm so glad I didn't add the full 400g or even 200g of sugar as it would have been fit for the bin.

Overall, a pleasant enough wine, nothing groundbreaking but be very careful with your sugar doses when backsweetening.

As you've discovered it is always best to add a little at a time, and taste after each addition. Nevermind, look on the bright side - you certainly won't make the same mistake again.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Working...
    X