• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribena Wine

1 12 oz. Bottle Ribena
    3 lb Sugar
    Pinch acid
    Yeast & Nutrient
    Dissolve sogar in warm water, add Ribena and boil for 19 minutes to drive off preservatives. Cool, pour into DJ, top up to shoulder. Add yeast, nutrient and acid. When ferment dies down top up to neck and continue till finish.

That's the recipe according to Berry, but I used a large bottle of Tesco's cordial and adjusted the sugar. I also added pectolase when I transferred it to the DJ, and added yeast a day after. Then I put it in the airing cupboard and let it alone for 2 months. (I forget about it actually ) Anyway, when I took it out of the cupboard it was as clear as if it had been filtered and really really nice
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Mamgi***

What was the starting sg ?

Did it end up sweet or ferment out to dry ?

Comment

David, I think it was about 110. It's sweet and strong - rather like a liquer. You can feel a nice warming glow as it goes down. I gave a neighbour a taste this evening and she loved it. I'm starting another lot tomorrow, it really is the best thing I've done so far.

It finished at 1020, but it really doesn't taste too sweet. Just nicely balanced.
      Let's party

Comment

Sounds nice I may give it go as I keep saying, It also sounds pretty similar to the Blackberry, Elderberry n Sloe that one usualy ends up being sweetened up to 1020 ish but still remains dry on the palate.

Comment

What I like about it is it's got plenty of body and is really smooth. What you don't know BTW is I can't STANd ribena, it makes me feel sick just to smell it. Odd isn't it?
          Let's party

Comment

Ribena or other brand cordial?

Mamgiowl,
            Was the blackcurrant cordial you bought actually Ribena, or was it just a Tesco brand cordial? I was gonna get some at the weekend, but if other blackcurrant cordial is ok, might just use that.

Comment

Hong, first one was Tesco's but they didn't have any today so I got Ribena proper. They are doing a 2 for the price of one offer so it works out quite cheap
              Let's party

Comment

Ribena is on 2 for 1 at Tescos again today,(31/7/07) for the 1litre bottles. Also got 2 of ribenas new blueberry flavour, might try that too when I ahve some demijohns spare.

Rich

Comment

I'd quite like to try some of this but have a few questions...

What size bottle of ribena do you use (in mls)? 12 fl oz = 355ml which doesnt seem much.

What is pinch acid? (or if it is "a pinch of acid" what acid?)

Do you really need the yeast nutrient or can you get away with just bunging a sachet of hovis in?

Comment

Ben, I used citric acid, and really, just a pinch. The bottle was a standard size Tesco's Blackcurrant, which was more that Berry recommended but, like you, I thought 12 oz (just over 1/2 a pint) wasn't enough.

Please don't use bread yeast, it's not worth it. Get the proper stuff, I usually use General purpose yeast, so it's cheap enough - even for students! If you get a tub it'll cost a couple of quid and last for ages. Yeast nutrient is just what it says on the can, and yes, IMO, it's an essential. You don't want stuck fermentations, they're a devil to deal with - lots of faffing around, and you've got better things to do with your time. Also get some Pectolase, it will save you more headaches than enough when it comes to clearing your wine at the end of the process.

And above all have patience.

Here endeth tonight's lecture
                    Let's party

Comment

I've a few questions too....

The Blueberry Ribena is no added sugar, shall I just add some more, and keep the checking the SG?

What SG should I be looking for in this to start?

Does boiling for so long make it go a bit thick? or doesn't this matter if your thinning it down?

Cheers,

Rich

Comment

I usually aim for about SG 1090, but I think my last batch was a bit higher. The boiling process doesn't reduce it by much and , as you say, you'll be diluting it anyway.

BTW "No added sugar" usually means it's got artificial sweetener in it. Check the label. As far as I know these sweeteners are non-fermentable so you'll end up with residual sweetness to the wine. IMO this is no bad thing. The first batch I made ended up at about FG 1020, but doesn't taste sickly sweet at all.
                        Let's party

Comment

Instead of citric acid, could you just stick some lemon juice in (or jif)?

Comment

Lemon juice yes, Jif no.
                            Let's party

Comment

why not jif (not cif ) has it got additives or preservatives
                              mark
                              "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Working...
                              X