Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jif lemon has E223 in it as preservative,

more info on E223 here:

Shame really, as that would have been an easy way to do it..

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
      When ferment dies down top up to neck and continue till finish.
      Sorry, I have another question...

What do you top it up with? More ribena or sugary water? Or do you simply save some of the mixture from the start that you didn't put in?

Comment

Cooled, boiled water. Or if you've got any mixture left over from the start, and you have kept it covered and bubbling away to itself, add that.

BTW Don't apologise for asking questions, it's what the forums all about. We all started that way, and it's the only way to learn, so ask away
        Last edited by Mamgiowl; 02-08-2007, 08:35 PM.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
          Sorry, I have another question...

What do you top it up with? More ribena or sugary water? Or do you simply save some of the mixture from the start that you didn't put in?

Yay, the surplus mixture that should be put into a PET bottle and either loosely covered or plugged with cottonwool.

Comment

Ok, and when it's doing it's stuff for two months, it's still on the lees? You don't rack or anything after it's fermented?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
              Ok, and when it's doing it's stuff for two months, it's still on the lees? You don't rack or anything after it's fermented?
              After fermentation has ceased, Rack to a clean vessel. Sulphite and Sorbate and de-gass.

Then either add clearing finings of your choice or simply allow nature to take its course.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID View Post
                Yay, the surplus mixture that should be put into a PET bottle and either loosely covered or plugged with cottonwool.

or if you get a 330ml lucozade bottle you can put a bung and air lock init
                mark
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Finally got round to starting this off.. 1 gallon of origanl and 1 gallon of blueberry ribena.

Just got to let it cool before I add the yeast now. Off out tonight so the yeast will go in the morning.

Hopefully it won't take too long with the current warmish weather.

Rich

Comment

Good luck Ritchy, let us know how it goes
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Finally got this into 2 demijohns - quite a journey

The Sorry tale of Ribena Wine......Don't try this method at home!

After starting this on 2nd August, I've been on quite a trip! Tried the C J Berry recipe, which I think is the one listed in the thread. I was really a beginner and forgot to take the SG.

Didn't know what 12oz bottle of ribena meant, so put in 700mls of ribena and 1L of red grape juice. I put in 2lbs 11oz sugar, adjusting for the sugar in the grape juice and left it to ferment. (This is the point where those in the know are probably doing this )

Well it fermented and I then remembered to take the SG when it got stuck at 1.3. It also tasted foul (like alcoholic cough mixture) and wouldn't ferment. So I thought it's probably stuck due to too much alcohol so I added some 21% yeast (after starting it off in a dilute solution of the wine). It started to ferment again and got stuck. I was getting fed up with this!!

So I took drastic action and poured it all out into a fermenting bin and made it up to 2 gallons with extra 1L cranberry and a tin of strawberries! Well not a lot happened and I was about to throw it out, but when I went to look it had started fermenting again. Last week both jars finally stopped at SG 0.992 and were racked and campden tablets added.

Then, the library called, after a 4 month wait, my book on wine making arrived. The irony! There in the book was a recipe for Ribena wine using 600mls of Ribena, but making 2 gallons of wine! If only I'd known. So much for the '12 oz bottle of ribena'. Next time I'll be much more careful with the old imperial measures and I'll check my SG first. Lesson learnt the hard way. Please don't try this at home.

And if you've read this far, suggestions welcome as to what I'm going to do with this wine next. It does taste like cough mixture and is rose in colour. I was tempted to add some dried Eldeberries to the mix to see if I could add further depth and colour and mask the cough mixture taste? Does the taste improve with keeping?

Still I learnt a lot from this experience and will never forget again to measure the SG before starting the wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                        Good luck Ritchy, let us know how it goes

I could add my tale in here too then.. Both my gallons cleared ok. the real ribena looks like a dark white wine, very straw coloured. Not what I expected at all. The blueberry ribena looks more like a rose.

Both taste a bit young at the moment, maybe given time they'll improve. If not, I'll mix them with lemonade!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          I could add my tale in here too then.. Both my gallons cleared ok. the real ribena looks like a dark white wine, very straw coloured. Not what I expected at all.
                          Rich
                          How did that happen?

I've made this umpteen times and never had such a drastic colour change. Must be magic
                          Let's party

Comment

Tis the work of satan!

that Rich is a witch

burn him!
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks Rich

Hadn't thought of the lemonade trick. Could well be doing that next summer. Thanks Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                Tis the work of satan!

that Rich is a witch

burn him!
                                Well, Guy Fawkes night is coming - anyone fancy a party?
                                Let's party

Comment

Working...
                                X