A happy ending, nearly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A happy ending, nearly.

I bottled my first batch this week.. do you remember your first time?

Now I just have to wait six months before i can drink it...
    Last edited by Boo; 08-05-2006, 08:23 PM.
    Boo

Looking good there

Elderberry and runner bean eh?

how does it taste?

Do try and keep some of it a year before you drink it.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Alright!

Looking good there Boo!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

It looks lovely. Let us know when you pop a cork!
        Life's more fun with a Polish Wine Princess!
        Half owner of Italian Floor Corker

Comment

Elderberry and runner bean eh?

how does it taste?
          Correct, I stuck to the letter of CJJ Berry's recipe. It actually tatses pretty good, even at this early stage, i was expecting someting far worse, although it still smells a little sharp, hope that will mellow out in time.

I made 2 gallons, got twelve bottles out of it so I plan to keep a few bottles to open each year, see how it ages. I also have around ten pound of fruit in the freezer, I plan to start my next batch over the x-mas holiday now my equipment is freed-up, time to experiment me thinks....

Has you tried elderberry and cranberry? Im looking for a recipe based around elderberry again.
          Boo

Comment

I made straight Elderberry last year, it was yummy yummy, I some of it into Port by fortifying with French brandy....it's awesome!

I have 18 lbs in the freezer too
            and 9 lbs Damsons
            will get to them in the spring when its warmer in the winery (garage)
            regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

will get to them in the spring when its warmer in the winery
              Bob, do you think I would be making a mistake to start my next batch so soon? I have a cylinder cupboard for fermenting and a larder for the DJ's to quietly sit and mature, it maintains an even temp (its where I store my commercial stuff too). Should I be waiting for Spring too? must admit, I had not previously considered time of year as a constraint to making wine..
              Boo

Comment

No It doesnt matter when you do it if you have a fermentation area that has a stable temperature, if i was fermenting in the house it would be full steam ahead, but my garage is now my winery, so its a bit cold.
                done some batches with the heat belt, and it seems to work ok, but having a rest because i made soooooo much wine this year.

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Bob have you thought of using EC-1118 Champagn Yeast.

From the description it's supposed to ferment down to 39 F or 3.89 C

Migt take you all year, but I bet the wine would taste great.
                  http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

I'm wanting to experiment with other yeasts to enhance the fruit flavours and they arent as hardy as the EC-1118

but fruit flavour is the goal and so im going to try D-47 and RC 212 and the fruit only apprears once a year so im waiting for higher temps so as not to take a chance on sticky ferments etc.

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956
                      , but having a rest because i made soooooo much wine this year.

regards
                      Bob
                      I hope your going to be enjoying the fruits of your labour in your rest period

Comment

ooooooooooooh yes
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Well, my wine has been in the bottle for 5 months now, nearly the magic six months figure.

I was tempted to open a bottle over the weekend just to see.... but I stood firm. What can I expect from a six month old wine? How would it compare to leaving it for another six months?

I have other wine maturing in DJ's at the moment but as this one was my very first attempt I'm sure you all understand my eagerness to crack one open

I logged on to see if there were any simple Strawberry wine recipes, will check out the recipe section but if any one has a recipe to share it would be appreciated.

Cheers
                          Graham.
                          Boo

Comment

Strawberry recipes X 4

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques5.asp

also posted in recipe section
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Tinned (canned) Strawberries make nice wine also

see here

According to CJJ Berry's making wine from canned fruit there are two basic methods method A is where pectolase is added and 24 hours are allowed to elapse (to allow the pectolase to work it's magic) before the yeast is added and Method B is where no pectolase is used (according to the book) However after much consideration, I

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                              I was tempted to open a bottle over the weekend just to see.... but I stood firm. What can I expect from a six month old wine? How would it compare to leaving it for another six months?
                              Well done on the patience front, I took ages to learn to be patient. It should be nice at 6 months but will develop further, try it at 6 months, 1 year and 2 years, make lots of notes to compare and you should see a very marked difference, it will round out, with more mouthfeel more fruitiness and softer tannins as it gets older.
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X