Raspberry Merlot - Niagra Mist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Merlot - Niagra Mist

I bought one of these 23 litre kits after trying a bottle or two of Rich's.

It's a very light red, with a raspberry flavour added, and comes out at about 8% alcohol (which SHOULD make it drinkable early), to be served cold. I'd hoped to get it made a few months ago, ready for the summer, but it took a while to get hold of the kit (long story).

Anyway .... instructions are clear and straightforward, and the process is the same as most kit wines. The only thing which is a bit scary is that the instructions specifically tell you not to top up after racking from the primary, so it sits in a glass carboy for a week or two with quite a lot of headspace. I have just finished degassing mine and it still looks and smells OK. So far, so good ...
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

With that big sweet F pack to add, It's fine! Iv'e made 3 of these now, It's my Mum's favourite quaffing wine. Also damm fine for sitting on a sunny patio/deck with whilst the bbq is getting going.

Comment

Update:

This stuff was drinkable very early. Not really wine-like, more like an alcoholic Ribena .

I forgot about it until recently when I realised most of the bottles were still on the rack. I feared the worst - it doesn't have a lot of alcohol and I hadn't expected it to survive this long, but I was wrong.

It still slips down nicely, as Rich says it is an ideal BBQ wine. My suggestion would be to make some in Nov/Dec ready for the following summer.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
      X