Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK grapes for winemaking

Found a UK supplier

nothing set in stone yet, but I've been working on this for ages now, and finally it has Bourne fruit (pun intended)

We may have the opportunity to harvest them ourselves too (saving money) so they will be pressed etc on the day they are picked. it would mean a van full of us going to the midlands to do the picking, but it could be great fun

Varieties possibly
    whites:
    Seyval
    Madeleine Angevine
    Solaris
    Bacchus
    Pinot blanc
    Chardonnay

Reds:
    Rondo
    Triomphe
    Regent

anyone interested in these?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Sounds interesting.

Presumably this would mean picking early morning, up to Chez Bob, etc, etc.

Whereabouts in the Midlands?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Found a UK supplier

nothing set in stone yet, but I've been working on this for ages now, and finally it has Bourne fruit (pun intended)

We may have the opportunity to harvest them ourselves too (saving money) so they will be pressed etc on the day they are picked. it would mean a van full of us going to the midlands to do the picking, but it could be great fun

Varieties possibly
      whites:
      Seyval
      Madeleine Angevine
      Solaris
      Bacchus
      Pinot blanc
      Chardonnay

Reds:
      Rondo
      Triomphe
      Regent

anyone interested in these?
      Am I right in assuming you're talking about going to Bourne to pick them? If so, it's not far away from me, so I "suppose" I can lend a hand.

As far as varieties go, I'm happy to be led by the more experienced; ie you Bob - then I can blame you if it all goes wrong
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Well this is early stages, so we could either just pick up the grapes and head up here, or I could transport the crusher and press and we could process down there, or a combination of the two...or whatever.....

I'm definately taking some Mad ange and some Seyval, and I may even buy lots...there will be approx 3 tons of Seyval available.(450 gallons ish ) this could be the jump to pro happening here

the vineyard is near Stratford upon Avon, I have been negotiating for some time to try nd get some UK grapes, and finally have located a supplier

(i'm excited)
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

.... a lot of work, but its now paying off.
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 30-06-2009, 09:19 PM.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Congratulations. I am too far away (and too skint) to join in but I hope you all have fun and I look forward to reading all about it.
            www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Stratford! Great, just over an hour away

I could possibly do two runs - twice as many grapes

Presumably the fixed 13th date would go out of the window
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

My only thought with doing everything on-site is that the social side might go out of the window (unless it was harvest one day, grapefest proper the next)
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

The date and venue of grapefest is set........(Sept 12th Pete.....pay attention!!!)

this would be an extra thing
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Harvest for these would be much later than grapefest....likely Oct...maybe even Nov
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

My thoughts are, these would be ready much later than those we import for grapefest ??
                      EDIT: OK already answered
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Even better. MORE grapes

Count me in.

So you still have a supplier for Grapefest?

(On Flashchat for a bit)
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

I'm not familiar with all of those varieties, but we also grow Regent and Seyval where I live. Seyval is quite tasty. Regent has a very dark red juice and is sometimes used in blends to enhance the color of lighter wines.

I'm surprised you don't grow Chambourcin in the Midlands... or maybe you do? That's a real nice French hybrid grape with the same climactic requirements as some of the others on your list. It makes a very good mid-weight style red.
                          Steve

Comment

Well

I'm not done yet, there may be other suppliers available soon.....watch this space

grapefest supplier...yes for sure, we have Brian in Peterborough who im sure will come through, but if not we have the fall back position of going back to Mr howgego

but in the future, who knows where we will end up? perhaps totally grapes sourced in the UK
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 30-06-2009, 10:14 PM.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I'm pretty close to Stratford (30ish mins) and this sounds like good fun, I'd definitely be interested.

There is a possibility that we'll be moving house in the Autumn so this might interfere, but hopefully they won't coincide.

As I've never looked at grape winemaking before, could someone give an idea of how many lbs of grapes make a gallon of wine, and how much the grapes cost (there's a reason I pick fruit from the hedges! ) I bet that's all in the grapefest thread actually, I'll have a dig through it.

Comment

Working...
                              X