Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawthornberry wine

Does anybody have any experience of Hawthornberry wine

Just wondering, there's a hedge outside my work with plenty on it and was considering doing it, albeit erring on the side of caution as not wanting a bitter wine...

Jim.
    ex ovo omnia
    Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Originally posted by Omniata View Post
    Does anybody have any experience of Hawthornberry wine

Just wondering, there's a hedge outside my work with plenty on it and was considering doing it, albeit erring on the side of caution as not wanting a bitter wine...

Jim.
    Don't get me wrong Jim, I haven't tried it (yet) but here's an idea to start with.........

I looked them up last year, as there wasn't much in the way of sloes etc, but mountains of hawthorn.....

And located enough info to learn that they're part of the prunus genus.

I was thinking that if the flavour is one that doesn't necessarily lend itself to something that's very "wine like", then maybe something sweet with a goodly level of back sweetening......

regards

jtfb

p.s. and don't forget, elderberries are rather unremarkable in flavour alone (IMO, just a generic "berry" flavour), but they do make a fine drop of vino calapso......
    Last edited by fatbloke; 17-08-2009, 07:22 PM.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I havent made it, but have tasted some that others have made, and I've never really thought it was that good.

but might be worth a try if you have easy access to lots of them
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

There's enough to do between one or half a gallon

Might give it a go out of curiosity, maybe perhaps with some of the gooseberries I've got frozen to add a bitter edge to the acid of the gooseberries...

Could well be "interesting"...

Thanks, I'll report if I gain success haha...
        ex ovo omnia
        Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

Originally posted by Omniata View Post
          Thanks, I'll report if I gain success haha...
          Splendid...

thats what the forum is all about....shared resources and information

cheers dude

bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Going to pick slight fault with the Prunus genra, it is a member of the Rose Family like the prunus , but its in the same sub family as apples,pears and crabapples. So I'd be inclined to treat it like them in brewing etc, rather than like plums or cherries.

(only know this as was looking into rowan, following a recent post and they are similar. )

Comment

Working...
            X