No announcement yet.

Malo-Lactic Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob, is that a liquid culture per chance? Just wondering. The Wyeast "Activator" packs I've bought are liquid.
    Steve

Comment

Yes Steve

liquid stuff, came packed in ice packs!!

it says it is for the direct innoculation of 5 gallons
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I have 4 packs and am hoping to eek it out to 110 gallons

I know im aiming high
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

What yeast are you fermenting with, Holding off doing anything with the Cili until it's fully stopped as I used K1V, and that states it doesn't like a concurrent ferment and MLF.

Comment

I'm using K1V

Because it is a "killer" strain of yeast, it is thought it will not work concurrently with other yeasts....but im thinking that becasue this is an MLF strain it will likely be OK (waits for conformation....or ...otherwise)
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Also......

because I am adding it as an active starter...it will take a bit of stopping!
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                I'm using K1V

Because it is a "killer" strain of yeast, it is thought it will not work concurrently with other yeasts....but im thinking that becasue this is an MLF strain it will likely be OK
                I don't know specifically how ML strains interact with K1V-1116. It's a yeast I don't use very often. There are some yeasts that tend to favor ML (D47, for example) but I haven't seen any data specific to K1V. Other s. bayanus strains, e.g EC-1118, Epernay, or Prise de Mousse, are not compatible with ML. Hopefully that's not the case with K1V.
                Last edited by NorthernWiner; 22-09-2009, 05:13 AM.
                Steve

Comment

Ok 3/4 litre Merlot/CilieBillio
                  1 litre apple juice
                  2 ML cultures

airlock fitted....awaiting lift off (well cheesy smell at least)
                  Attached Files
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Here is my mother ML culture, so to speak. It began its life as a packet of freeze-dried culture I found in the back of the freezer. It was almost a year past the expiration date when I found it. I didn't think it was viable, but gave it a go. I was surprised when, after a couple of weeks, it started to bubble. I've been nurturing it along now for the last three months and using it on various grape fermentations. Whenever it becomes depleted, I simply add more apple juice and wine (using a 1:3 ratio). After about a week there is usually regular activity in the airlock, indicating that it's ready to use.

Notice all the foamy, chunky stuff in the top. It's pretty active right now. In two weeks I'll be inoculating another 3 batches of wine.

MLB2.jpg
                    Steve

Comment

Yay!

MLF appears to be underway
                      Attached Files
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Result!
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X