X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry Half & Half

Ok, here's the recipe for 1 gallon;

4lbs strawberries
    approx 2lbs sugar or honey (or in this case 1lb sugar plus 1lb honey)
    1tsp citric acid/acid blend or juice of 1 large lemon
    1 campden
    1/4 tsp tannin
    1tsp nutrient
    1/2 tsp pectolase
    Water to 1 gallon

METHOD:

I used GV3 as the yeast, and stuck the strawberries into a blender & minced them up, and put them into a straining bag. (When I do thsi again, I'll be using the juiced equivalent of 4lbs)

The original recipe says 2lbs sugar or honey so I'd start off adding the equivalent of 1.5lbs sugar initially, but as half honey & half sugar, and then more as needed upto 1080.

Add acid, tannin, yeast nutrient & campden, then 12 hours later add the pectolase, then after another 12 hours pitch the yeast.

Ferment on the pulp for about 1 week, or until the SG reaches 1020 to 1010, and lift out the fruit & drain. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BAG!

Rack into a DJ and ferment to dry etc.

Keep 6 months to a year before drinking. The one you tried at Grapefest was 1 year old, and also had about 5ml of wine sweetener added.
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Fantastic

Thanks for posting the recipe - much appreciated. Have been raving to the wife about this recipe (and Kampervan's Blackberry/Elderberry too)....

Right, a trip to the local market/tesco's in order i think......................

Regards,
    Dave.
    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

No problem, I'm always happy to share.

In fact the recipe came from a book by Terry Garey called "The Joy Of Home Winemaking" (Order it on Amazon) I'd certainly recommend getting a copy as I've made quite a few wines from her recipes and they've all turned out pretty good. The only problem being that her suger additions are a little too much and her recipes are in quarts as she's American, but once you've converted it's not a problem, and your hydrometer will tell you when to stop adding sugar/honey.

By the way, the honey I used was a cheap and cheerful one from Aldi or Liddl, so don't go spending loads on posh stuff
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

is a good book, keep reading it. off to get stawberries this afternoon after tasting this one.
        http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
        http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X