Pinot Grigio - Beaverdale Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinot Grigio - Beaverdale Kit

Actually I can't take the credit for this one - Mrs.Goldseal made it.

This is a 6 bottle kit. Beaverdale seem to include a generic additives pack which always includes oak. I've never used oak in a Beaverdale white, so that went in the cupboard for use elsewhere.

As usual for Beaverdale kits, the instructions are straightforward - even Mrs.G could follow them . An easy wine to make - chuck the concentrate and water into a DJ, add yeast, wait.

This was always meant to be an early drinking wine, so we opened a bottle after a month. A decent if unremarkable drink.

After 2 months it has improved - much better than the cheap, bland Pinot Grigios stocked by Tescos and the like. Melon, pear, just the right acidity.

I have really enjoyed the Beaverdale whites I have made (California White, Sauv Blanc and this one), but Pinot Grigio is now my favourite.

Highly recommended for idiot-resistant, early drinking enjoyment
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

UPDATE:

I made another one of these.

After two months in the bottle we had a tasting. I was disappointed - watery, flat, and a little rough.

However, after four months it had improved vastly - clean, citrussy, crisp, not complex but a really decent everyday white.

I take back my 'early drinking' comments in my first post. Leave at least 4 months after bottling. Oh, annd get another one on the go while you are waiting, because the first 6 bottles won't last long
    Pete the Instructor

Comment

This is the stuff I have on the go just now, for the favours for my brothers wedding.
      It has not long finished....and I am bulk aging it, for 2 months, before being bottled
      I have never tried it before...... so I do hope it is good
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I made one of these a couple of years ago and was unimpressed (drank it too soon). The brother in law made one recently and it is cracking stuff and I agree with Pete, much better than some of the flacid stuff you get in the supermarkets.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Ive just started a 5 gallon batch im keeping it for November /December would you bulk age it in a better bottle or would you bottle it all up for aging.I was thinking more in the lines of 3 Months in the better bottle and then 3 Months in bottles

Comment

I would bulk age in the Better Bottle, mainly because it occupies less space than 30 bottles.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

bulk aging is always better......
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Racked and stabalised just waiting for it to clear now i was going to bulk age in a better bottle but there was loads of sediment and i mean loads its now down to about 21.5 Litres looks like i may have to put it in djs which is bad news cause that means i will be tempted to drink some aaaargh

Comment

or enter it at Yorkshire fed?

or in the VWC?

I have one of these kits awaiting ferment.......
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Mine is bulk ageing now....
                    All 7 gallons of it :

3 gallons have been lost in a Tardis

Comment

Strange how that happens!

N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Indeedy

Comment

Made this one twice now and both results have been very good indeed. The first was as per instructions using all the ingredients including the oak and supplied yeast. The second was using lavin k1v yeast but other than that as per instructions and all the included ingredients. The 1st had much more nose very powerful just as Pinot's do the second with the Lavin yeast had a much more complicated fruity taste fresher and a fruity zest after taste the nose was there but not as strong. Well, wine is a drink after all and the 2nd one with the Lalvin yeast certainly had more going on in the taste department on the tongue so for me that was the winner in my little taste test.
                          Pete
                          Little update
                          I gave some of the first batch to the inlaws for Christmas and was disapointed with the lack of improvement over time the one made with Lalvin yeast has continued to improve in the nose department and is far better in all respects to the one made with the stndard yeast.
                          Last edited by RTPFUN; 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM.
                          Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

Working...
                          X