Black Cherry port style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
    More sugar. It's at just over 17%, and I think it has more or less quit now.

I'm trying to decide what order to do things once fermentation quits completely. I think I will:

Rack + meta + degas
    Sweeten further
    Fortify with brandy
    Back into DJ with oak, checking fermentation doesn't restart
    Rack + bottle once it is oaked sufficiently
    Hi Pete.I would at this point stabilize with sulfite and as a precaution use some potassium sorbate as well. Sweeten with what ever you were planning on using then wait for a couple of weeks to make certain nothing starts again.I would use a grape concentrate myself. If you can not get small bottles you can buy a low end kit a four week time line kit. These are the same stuff that the concentrate is. Take out what you need and then make up the kit going easy on the water addition until you get the right SG then follow the kit directions to make up the rest of the kit as a wine.Add your oak and monitor regularly until it tastes like just a shade too much oak. Then fortify and bottle. You will achieve a better viscosity using Grape concentrate and a more natural flavor.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      Fortify with brandy
      Back into DJ with oak, checking fermentation doesn't restart
      Once you have fortified it with the brandy....it wont restart, the alc level will be too hight for yeast activity, so i wouldnt think more sorbate would be required.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Once you have fortified it with the brandy....it wont restart, the alc level will be too hight for yeast activity, so i wouldnt think more sorbate would be required.
        I was thinking on method Bob and the timing of the addition of the sweetener is ahead by a couple weeks to the fortifying with the brandy that is why I recommended Sorbate.Question would be the timing other wise no worries.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

good point Robert
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Mine has been sugar fed a few times, and is still bubbling away once every six seconds or so.

Comment

SG stabilised. Alcohol level around 18%, so I expect the yeast it at its upper limit.

Racked, degassed, black cherry sachet, brandy and sugar added (to taste). Estimated 19% alcohol. I'm keeping it in a warm-ish room until I am sure fermentation is really complete.

It's tricky trying to get the brandy & sugar levels right because the port will change and develop over the next couple of years. Fingers crossed
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Mine has quit with sugar feeding.. Same SG for the last 2 weeks.

So, tonight I've racked/degassed and added about 170ml of brandy.

Will let it sit a while before adding any sugar (to taste)

Comment

170ml. How did you arrive at that figure?
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

Got this indoors a couple of days ago to let it warm up.

SG was at 1.015, and tasted a little thin really. So, 65g of sugar added and stirred brought the sg upto about 1.020 and a teaspoon of glycerine added too.

Now tastes a bit sweeter and a smidge more mouthfeel. Strangely has a more citrus/orangey taste, maybe it's from the brandy. Not unpleasant at all but maybe not too much like port (or black cherry..)

So, back out to the garage with it for another couple of months and we'll see where it's up to then

Comment

How did this turn out in the end?

Comment

Very nicely.

Although we both started with the same kit, we went down slightly different paths thereafter.

Both went down well at Grapefest.

I tried a bottle of Rich's version a couple of weeks ago. It has developed further, fruity and oaky but not heavy.

I must try one of my own too.
                        Last edited by goldseal; 14-08-2011, 09:04 AM.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

Excellent, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X