Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a cleanup ready for the big push !
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Making up sulphite solution, preparing FVs, checking all my bits and pieces all in prep for Grapefest. Worrying that I haven't bottled enough too - limited capacity. Still there is always next week whilst the Grapes are fermenting.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• -2 weekends ago: 13 boxes of Merlot
        -1 weekend ago: pressing said merlot
        Today: 13 boxes of montepulciano, straight off the lorry, still chilled. Best condition of any I've had - a nice chalky bloom on dark grapes with very little damage or mould. Less ripe than the merlot (which had an average of 21° Brix, these were 19.25° - but the merlot had quite a high proportion of dodgy. 13 boxes = 87L must, I'm hoping for 65L (3 carboys and a top-up bottle). I plan to leave 4 days before inoculation with RC212 so I've spiked them with 0.18g/L K-meta and I'll be adding 3.5kg of brewing sugar and a 1/2 dose of yeast nutrient to kick it off.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

• 4.5 gals of Wherry bottled. Kitchen floor cleaned (with Wherry).
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• ...run out of Flash ?
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Racking Grapefest wines off gross lees, lots of other racking to bring me more or less up to date. Lots of cleaning, general tidying of the winery, the kitchen etc. New batches of sulphite made up and 2 gallons of second run. Take son to basketball practice and then to party. Cooking.
              Oh did i mention lots of cleaning. Inevitable, right?
              Tired.
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Long time since posting, but started some elderflower champagne for crimbo.
                Two demijohns on the go... I got two off "Young's Country Definitive" kits.
                Don't panic, I've got 12 prosecco bottles for holding the wine...

Kind regards,

Jim.
                ex ovo omnia
                Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

• N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    I've just bought two very old 8 bottle oak riddling racks and a pair of pasteboard hinges to invert the bottles during gassing/bottle fermentation.

I've also got some calcium chloride to freeze the necks, apparently mixing 1kg CaCl2 and 0.7kg of crushed ice goes down to -55°C, going to run a trial freeze with a digital thermometer this weekend...
                    ex ovo omnia

Comment

• Bottled 1G of Rice and Raisin 2015 yesterday, initial tasting is disappointing it's lacking something. Going to go through my note see what I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by HLA91 View Post
                        Bottled 1G of Rice and Raisin 2015 yesterday, initial tasting is disappointing it's lacking something. Going to go through my note see what I did.
                        Maybe a drop or two of glycerine?
                        ex ovo omnia

Comment

• Originally posted by Omniata View Post
                          Maybe a drop or two of glycerine?
                          Part of me is thinking tannin or acid, but I'm not experienced enough to say which one.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by HLA91 View Post
                            Part of me is thinking tannin or acid, but I'm not experienced enough to say which one.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
                            Tannin would add bitterness IIRC, malic acid would add that pleasant sharpness and feel in the mouth, glycerine would add feel and sweetness, but if you overdo it with glycerine it would become ropey/gluey.

Adding a little grape concentrate can sometimes give it a bit of a boost, but you need to gauge your sulphite addition timing depending upon whether you want dry or sweet.

All IMHO of course, each to their own taste.
                            ex ovo omnia

Comment

Working...
                            X