X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too funny
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

“Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Squished a small quantity (10lb?) of some alleged wine grapes from Freecycle. I don't think they are (SG 1.065, TA 8 as sulphuric). Sulphited them and will leave them overnight - I may just chuck in a Wine No.1 mix and see what happens. Might get a Rosé of some sort.

Moved 3 carboys and a lot of DJs into the Winery Annexe (used to be known as the Dining Room ).

The Merlot carboy thanked me for moving it to a warmer room by stopping all airlock activity . I'll have a word with it later.

A few SG checks.

Spent quite a while clearing my kit from the kitchen, tidying away etc, then realised I'd neglected my Icewine, which has been sitting on the lees for a couple of weeks. Better get racking I suppose.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Moved the black cherry to DJ today, sg 1.020. Mixed 500g of sugar with boiling water and left to cool, so I can start a Wine 1 later on. Just a plain white with grape and apple juice.

Ciligelio seems to have stopped so added some some ML culture to it, it's all warm inside so hopefully that'll work a treat. The Merlot is going great too!! (sorry Pete, had to add that in )

Comment

Bottled wine #2 Cranberry and started a Young's Riesling and a Young's Elderberry.

I was bored yesterday and made a 'Turbo Cider', using 4.5 litres of apple juice, 1 bramley apple, a jar of honey and a cinnamon stick and a strong cup of tea.
            Last edited by Tuco; 24-09-2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I had a word with the carboy full of Merlot. I explained to it that, if it didn't start fermenting again, I'd bottle it and stick Blue Nun labels on it.

10 minutes later, it was bubbling away like a good 'un.
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

lol goldseal, that'll learn it to stop fermenting!

Comment

Most everything I have is now quietly going through malolactic fermentation. Not much to see. Not much to do.

I went down the entire row today, giving each carboy and barrel a gentle stirring, and taking a little sip here and there.

The Chardonnay is especially tasty. I have a feeling it's going to be a damned nice wine.
                  Steve

Comment

Managed to find a little time this evening to tend my Merlot & Cili whatsit, the cili has ceased ferment at 0.996, colour is rather light, but smells real fruity. The Merlot is still merily chugging away (remember I was late pitching the yeast). I then racked what was left of a 5 gal Sol Grundy Chablis Blush (been syphoning the odd bottle off just 3 gal left ).
                    I also racked a six bottle kit of the WinExpert Island Mist Green Apple Riesling, which is just fab, fermented a little of the F pack to stop it being too sweet and the result is a medium but fresh apple crispy wine, great stuff.
                    I do need to rack and clear 5 gal of wine # 1 which I keep walking past and thinking 'this needs some finings'

It's been good to get back on top of things after a busy time with GFest, Lincon Fed show and the new shop
                    Last edited by Duffbeer; 24-09-2009, 10:43 PM.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                      I had a word with the carboy full of Merlot. I explained to it that, if it didn't start fermenting again, I'd bottle it and stick Blue Nun labels on it.

10 minutes later, it was bubbling away like a good 'un.

I feel a new book coming on........"the psychology of winemaking"
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Just to show my ignorance here... how the hell do you pronounce CILIEGIOLO?

is it "silly jew leo" or "silly gee owlo" something else?!
                        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I wasn't sure either, so I asked a friend, who is a bonafide Italian expat.

He says it as Chee-lee-ay-JOH-loh

Also, here is a sound clip of someone saying it:
                          Pronunciation guide: Learn how to pronounce Ciliegiolo in Italian with native pronunciation. Ciliegiolo translation and audio pronunciation
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                            Just to show my ignorance here... how the hell do you pronounce CILIEGIOLO?

is it "silly jew leo" or "silly gee owlo" something else?!

see lee oh joe low
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

But sometimes....

see lee oh gee oh low
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

From the Italian pronounciation guide:

c before a, o, and u is like the English k.
                                c before e or i is like the English sound ch in chest.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X