Tomato Wine??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato Wine??

I've had a bumper crop of tomatoes this year so I've made ketchup, pasta sauce, soup, bottled as many as I've got room for and put a load in the freezer. However, last night I picked about a further 15 lbs of the things - all ripe. ( and more to come - I told you I had a bumper crop )

I've found a recipe on Jack Keller's website ( ), but what I really want to know is has anyone tried it and is it worth the bother? I have heard that you shouldn't make tomato wine, but if Jack says so... ?

Whaddya think?
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

it is one of the holy trinity of home made wines yes you can but after doing so my self the question is why , it was by far the worse wine i have ever tried evan beatting banana wine, as for the other two of lettuce and liquirish roots same as dont bother make chuckney instead
    Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

You might try asking Martina, she's the "Master" of odd wines isn't she?

I'm contemplating a pumpkin wine this year...
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgerow View Post
        it is one of the holy trinity of home made wines yes you can but after doing so my self the question is why , it was by far the worse wine i have ever tried evan beatting banana wine, as for the other two of lettuce and liquirish roots same as dont bother make chuckney instead
        Erm.. Didn't I mention chutney? I've got yards of it.

I must say though, Hedgerow, I'm dubious about it myself. If I wasn't so desperate to use these tomatoes up I wouldn't have asked.
        Let's party

Comment

Jan,

Martina has made tomato wine. She could probably answer any of your questions surrounding the making of it.

I have tasted several. Some were better than others. I once had a slightly sweet one that I would even describe as good. Unfortunately, most have kind of an odd flavor... vaguely metallic is how I would describe it.

Overall my impression of tomato wine is this: if someone were to say "that's tomato wine" whilst tasting it, you might say, "why yes, I can taste the tomato." However, if they didn't tell you what it was, you'd be more inclined to think you were drinking something that had gone off.
          Steve

Comment

it came out thin with a poor after taste, like i say its do able but !! i can also offer my son as a chuckney eating services we do lots here as well but its getting harder keeping him out of the kitchen and pantry shelves
            Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Tomatoes = salad

Salad = Karl running away.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I had some made desert style that was absolutely delicious. The fellow used white grape concentrate for the sweetening. I would think the table variety could be a little not so great though. Mind I am a lover of fresh tomatoes and sprinkled sugar very yummy indeed.
                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

there are some very very strange people in brithish columbia i am glad theres a pond between us. apart from that never made it sweet just dry ish at 1002

Comment

I've bunged them all in the freezer awaiting info from Martina as she's our resident expert.

It sounds like more ketchup coming up though
                    Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                      I've bunged them all in the freezer awaiting info from Martina as she's our resident expert.

It sounds like more ketchup coming up though
                      I'd have just run them through my passata press, then they can stay in the freezer "ad infinitum" Jan.

You could do the "spaghetti sauce" thing or whatever else.

Personally, tomato wine just doesn't appeal to me......

regards

jtfb
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Nor to me really, FB, but worth a try if you're over-run with the things.

Unfortunately I don't have a passata press or I'd definitely go down that road. However, tomatoes freeze beautifully whole, with the added bonus that it's dead easy to de-skin them when they're frozen. And it's a damn sight easier to just bung 'em in the freezer as they are and process them as and when time/inclination allow.

PS. I've got more pasta sauce and other stuff than I'm liable to need in the foreseeable future so wine was the only other thing I could think of
                        Last edited by Mamgiowl; 28-09-2009, 07:43 AM.
                        Let's party

Comment

Working...
                        X