ML fermentation HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ML fermentation HELP!!

What a journey I have started..... to introduce ML or not into my Merlot, which has finished primary ferm, but reads 3.6 PH.

What follows is my current thinking.

PH – Smaller number equals higher acidity.
    So 3.0 PH is more acid (logarithmically) than 3.6
    If we agree ML reduces Acidity, the PH should move down the scale.(the number getting bigger)
    Merlot PH currently reads 3.6 – I would prefer something nearer 3.2 (just what I consider normal).

SO the million dollar question: WHat should I do??

The options are then:
    1. Add the ML culture ( I have another at 2.9 that ML would seem a good candidate for this one)
    2. For the Merlot – add acid (not citric) to increase the TA
    3. Do nothing till December and re test. Perhaps not even racking or sulphating yet to promote good feed bed for natural ML

BUt has ML already happened? Hence low(ish) PH?
    Is 3.6 acceptable – I think poss not, but am I wrong?

Haveing read my deep and meaningful books of the subject (Wine Tech and Ops & From grape to marketplace) the only conclusion I can draw is that I have a lot of information on the subject, but very little knowledge.

Chinese proverb: A man with a watch knows the time, a man with two watches not really sure!!

Help!!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
    What a journey I have started..... to introduce ML or not into my Merlot, which has finished primary ferm, but reads 3.6 PH.

Is 3.6 acceptable – I think poss not, but am I wrong?
    A pH of 3.6 for Merlot is not only acceptable, most winemakers would envy a number like that. Furthermore, if you check the pH of commercial Merlots, you would find most to be in the 3.6-3.7-ish range.

If it were my Merlot, I would absolutely encourage MLF. It will give you much greater stability in the bottle. MLF will up your pH just a bit. I think you will find it will end up around 3.65 or so by the time it finishes, which is perfect, in my opinion.
    Last edited by NorthernWiner; 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM.
    Steve

Comment

I'm pitching my ML starter culture this afternoon
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

...and saving some for me?
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Indeedy

pitched 1/2 the starter and topped up with Apple juice....
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I like to be 3.4 to 3.6 on my reds if possible. but these days dont worry so much about Ph, just measure TA and adjust that...works better for me (remembering the mess up with the Ph on the Merlot in 2006)
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks chaps. Follwoing the advice I am investing in a TA testing kit.
              Now heres a funny thing. Since my initial tasting, testing and panicing, the game has moved on.

While pulling off a gallon of the Merlot, to add the ML starter to (thanks Bob). Everything has changed. The wine has tightened up nicley - and after two days the one gallon starter for the ML shows no sign of movement or pong.

Has it done ML on its own I wonder, during my week of procrastination/panic.

I might very well pitch the ML into my Regnt which is currenty 2.9 on the richter scale and almost manages to suck your ears into your head when tasting.

Thanks chaps...
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                A pH of 3.6 for Merlot is not only acceptable, most winemakers would envy a number like that. Furthermore, if you check the pH of commercial Merlots, you would find most to be in the 3.6-3.7-ish range.

If it were my Merlot, I would absolutely encourage MLF. It will give you much greater stability in the bottle. MLF will up your pH just a bit. I think you will find it will end up around 3.65 or so by the time it finishes, which is perfect, in my opinion.

Does anyone know where there is a guide to / list of what to aim for with different varieties? I was cleary under the influence that 3.6 should have been closer to 3.2 (which I asumed) was where most reds should be, However this is my first go at merlot and it was stomped whole not crusher/destalked. So I sort of set myself thinking this was going to need more finishing.

Comment

...after two days the one gallon starter for the ML shows no sign of movement or pong.

Has it done ML on its own I wonder, during my week of procrastination/panic.
                  ML generally takes weeks, if not months to complete. I've found the average to be about 8 weeks, but have had a few take 3 months. One cabernet I made earlier this year (from frozen must) was inoculated in January and did not finish ML until May.

A starter will sometimes take 7-10 days before you see any visible acitivity.

I might very well pitch the ML into my Regnt which is currenty 2.9 on the richter scale and almost manages to suck your ears into your head when tasting.
                  A wine with pH of 2.9 will have great difficulty with MLF. Many of the grapes I work with are high acid hybrids, and 3.1 seems to be about the lowest practical limit for initiating malolactic - unless you're using a particularly robust strain of bacteria, such as VP41.

Does anyone know where there is a guide to / list of what to aim for with different varieties?
                  I'm not aware of any such guide. Most of my experience has come from talking to other winemakers, as well as actually testing pH on commercial wines. Overall, I've found the pH on New World wines (US, Australia) to be in the 3.6-3.75 range for full-bodied reds, while European wines (primarily French) are slightly lower, in the 3.5-3.6 range. Italy is one exception that falls in line closer to the US model. On the other hand, 3.2 would be a good pH for a crisp Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc. A fat Chardonnay will tend to fall in the 3.4-3.5 range.
                  Steve

Comment

Thanks Chaps. Brill info.

I have added the ML starter to the whole batch. I will not rack it or sulphite it till I think it done its stuff.

Gotta go and play with my new crusher! It has finally arrived.

Comment

Working...
                    X