Youngs red grape juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngs red grape juice

Found myself in Wilkinsons yesterday and picked up some more Red grape juice. It produces a really nice rose style wine. Very easy to do. Never tried a proper Youngs red kit, but this is much cheaper at £4.99.

1 Litre Youngs red grape juice. (slightly smaller than the definitive kit range)
    Sugar to 1.080 (think it was about 800g, but check with hydrometer)
    Pectolose 1 tsp
    citric acid 1 tsp
    1 cup of tea for tannin ( NO MILK )

I treated this exactly like I would wine no 1. Lovely dark red colour but ended up tasting like a rose.
    Cleared really quickly. In fact i thought it was still cloudy but it was just the dark red colour stopping me seeing through the demijohn.

Drinkable straight away, but leave it a couple of weeks and its VERY drinkable. Never been able to mature it much longert as we always run out of it. Ive not found anyone yet that doesnt like this.

i wonder if there is something about rose that makes it easy to make a stunner - anyone know?. i'm no expert tho having only made two (one of which is still conditioning tho). anyway here's a nice one should you fancy adding another to your range

first the expensive part, but if you do it anyway then you're in for a treat .... make up a beaverdale shiraz kit. Keep the sediment after you rack for the first time and lob in cheapo supermarket grape juice and whatever normal other stuff you may think is needed to make a healthy place for the yeast. then treat as you would do usually.

this year i may not make the shiraz kit initially, but i will buy some oak chips and try it from there. i guess then i'll find out if rose is an easy quality brew or otherwise.
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by darrel View Post
      Found myself in Wilkinsons yesterday and picked up some more Red grape juice.
      do you mean Red grape Concentrate?
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        do you mean Red grape Concentrate?
        Supposadly not. Its called Red Grape Compound. Its not as thick as the concentrate they sell and I would say the consistancy of Juice, but maybe with glycerin added?.

Comment

It is basically a kit medium red, the fact that it's on the lower budget scale is why it tastes more like a rose than a full bodied red, but if you like it then 4.99 for 6 bottles is good value.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
          X