Updated CJJ Berry Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated CJJ Berry Recipes

I have gone through them and adjusted the sugar levels in all the recipes, however where at all possible (sometimes CJ's methodology prevents it) adjust starting SG by use of the hydrometer, to give a start SG of 1.080. This will result in better balanced wine, that is drinkable earlier. The original recipes were formulated in an age where sugar wasnt as well refined as it is now, and therefore more was needed to achive the same SG. using the amounts quoted in the original recipes very often resulted in stuck fermentations. I have also taken out references to stuff no longer available, and have adjusted weights and measures to reflect the fact we have gone metric. I may have missed the odd one, please let me know if you find any typos etc. regards Bob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 26-12-2011, 08:17 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

thank you for your hard work
    Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

wow, that was a bit of a task eh!

page 7, mangold should be marigold
      page 13, careful the pedants/purists/hypocrits don't gang up on you for calling this sake - even if it wasn't your idea, or if it was then it was only enjoying the hobby in the same way as some kits are called whisky etc.
      page 54, rofl!

cheers, i do like Berry and these adjusted recipes will be useful.
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

where i lived in south warwickshire we used to grow mangolds they are a root crop very similar to sugar beets and as such which one is correct
        Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Quite certain it is mangolds, the recipe requests to peel and chop, also asks for several kilo which would be one hell of a task with marigolds
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
            Quite certain it is mangolds, the recipe requests to peel and chop, also asks for several kilo which would be one hell of a task with marigolds
            heard of them, not ever used/eaten/brewed/etc with them.

Either way, old CJJJJJJJJJJ did include some more unusual ingredients in some of the recipes so it's probably not a type.....

regards

jtfb

p.s. is Bob planning on incorporating the updates in the recipes section ? (and yes I do appreciate just how much work that involves.....)
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

page 7
              It is indeed mangolds....I thought it was a typo till I googled it....a root vegetable it seems (Yuck)

page 13
              yes you are correct it isnt really sake...

page 54
              I was thinking of deleting it completely

I have updated the quantities as best I can and sugar levels so that each recipe will produce a wine of around 12% alcohol by volume.

as stated earlier, the sugar we use nowadays is much more refined and so we dont need as much.

The methodology at the start of the book is very good, and needs little updating for todays winemaker, if time permits I may look to update with references to the kit we can now get our hands on.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                -----%<-----
                if time permits I may look to update with references to the kit we can now get our hands on.
                You'll be telling us that you have things other than just brewing and running WAH to do next Bob!

It's just not good enough

I for one appreciate your valiant efforts matey. A good bit of work with the updating of CJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ's stuff.

Well done and thanks...

regards

jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

re mangolds/marigolds; the recipe i flagged up used both words and in my ignorance i assumed the latter was correct. so it seems that marigold (in the body of the text) is the typo.

re sake, yeah technically it isn't at all, but quite honestly who cares. brewers use such language as whisky for kits that involve no distillation, and 'clone' for certain homebrewed beers. Neither of these terms are correct either. so do we get all anal about it, or do we just enjoy the hobby safe in the knowledge that we all know what we mean (as you did when you wrote sake) and use some terms for fun or brevity or in the spirit (oops technically not correct ) of etc etc.

i vote for the latter, long live the rice 'n' raisin sake (by the way try it warm if it doesn't quite work for you and you'll get a pleasant warming alternative to mulled wine). but arggh it is mulled wine, oh what the heck you all know what i mean. They say the best sake isn't served warm, but at the time i was introduced to it that was how it presented to us, by folks from south east asia. Probably what they thought we expected. Regardless, i'm really glad that i first tried it that way as its a very nice warm drink and to my mind if you havent tried warm sake then you are missing out, just as if you never tried mulled wine you are missing out.

anyway, i'm gonna rummage about and find out about mangolds now
                  To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                  A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                    wow, that was a bit of a task eh!

page 7, mangold should be marigold
                    page 13, careful the pedants/purists/hypocrits don't gang up on you for calling this sake - even if it wasn't your idea, or if it was then it was only enjoying the hobby in the same way as some kits are called whisky etc.
                    page 54, rofl!

cheers, i do like Berry and these adjusted recipes will be useful.
                    Evening all, what's "rolf" mean? Or am i being thick?

If anything needs updating in the book, its those "disturbing" pictures of the woman with the pulp master and the second woman "suggestively" fitting the immersion heater and bung in her 1 gallon jar . . . oh er, i've just read that sentance back . . ..
                    A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Originally posted by owlwithoutfeathers View Post
                      Evening all, what's "rolf" mean? Or am i being thick?
                      Here you go Owl....
                      Linky to help explain some abbreviations
                      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

rofl: rolling on the floor laughing

Comment

Hmmm, good link.

ROFLOL - sounds like the noise that i made the morning after my mates stag do in Cardiff last year.

ROTFLOLAPMP - sounds like you have to check your underpants . . .
                          A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Hi lockwood1956,

In the updated first steps recipes PDF file on page 45 under PEAR WINE

Ingredients
                            :

31 Kilo sugar

I take it's a typing mistake should it be 1 Kilo of sugar

Regards Fred
                            Your Success Our Innovation

Comment

Yes Fred

well spotted, 31 Kilo may give you a wine thats just a tad sweet

cheers
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X