autumnal buds on trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autumnal buds on trees

This is our first year of growing fruit trees and since planting in spring all has gone well .... however .....

the cherry tree and the plum tree are busily producing buds and have been for a couple of weeks. No doubt the very mild temperatures have something to do with this. I have heard that should this continue (to flowering or just more/bigger buds?) then the trees will lose their "mojo" and fruit yields will be very much worse next year.

What can i do about this? should i snap off the buds, or cut them off, or squish them? if i do then the damp and warm weather is likely to allow disease to get hold (hence the advice about pruning is to do it in dry spells during late summer/early autumnal weather). Is there any magic chemical treatment to apply to the new buds to prevent further growth, or to the bare wood after removing buds to protect against disease. Better still is there an organic way of doing it.
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

okey dokey all you novice gardeners like me .... (26 views but no replies must mean there are plenty of us!)

i joined a gardening forum and posed the same question. Got 2 very knowledgable sounding replies with plenty of detail and useful info. To sum it up they said "relax and let nature take its course, all is well"

reminds me of so many posts on homebrewing forums from those new to the hobby, who basically just want reassurance that all is ok and normal.

so if dashed out into the garden and were worried by seeing something similar then worry not - and i'm sorry for alarming you
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Some of my strawberry plants and some of thre brambles are producing a second set of fruit...i'm assuming that it is due to milder temps extending the growing season...

also harvested early this year, diue to fruit being ripe earlier
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

as someone that realy does know his gardening and allotments (5) , dont ever worry to much about golbe warming because mother nature knows a lot more than we do so sit back and enjoy your trees, yes they might start to grow or not evan stop but they will survive and flurish
        Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

i noticed flowers on the brambles in our garden for much of the year, including some only about 3-4 weeks ago. From what i can gather from the gardening forum this is normal and such things as flowers on trees in orchards through the year is normal too. Tho obviously they are few and far between.

The gardening forum folks also mentioned things like buds forming a full year in advance being normal. A warm spell will make them grow a bit, but they need a cold spell, followed by a warm spell (i dunno how long such spells need to be but i guess it must be seasonal lengths rather than shorter periods) to get them to the stage of starting to produce flowers.

I was pleased to get such feedback, but i do still believe there is plenty of evidence to show that the climate is changing. Like you tho i think that last years spring/summer was great for berries!

Comment

Working...
          X