Jim's Orange and spiced Mead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim's Orange and spiced Mead

Well as usual I decided to go against convention and try my own "fan dangled" recipe...

Rind of 10 oranges finely grated
    Juice of 10 oranges
    1.36Kgs Rowse's Honey (1 large container from Makro)
    1/2tsp Tartaric Acid
    1/2tsp Malic Acid
    1/4tsp Tannin
    1/2tsp Star Anise (coarsely ground)
    1/2tsp Cinamon (coarsely ground)
    1/2tsp Mace (coarsely ground)
    1/2tsp Nutmeg (coarsely ground)
    1/2tsp Rohapect pectolytic enzyme
    3tsp Tronozymol nutrient
    2 Vitamin B1 tablets
    1tsp Campden Powder
    1 sachet GV4/26 Yeast
    Water to 1 gallon

Honey warmed in hot water to soften all poured/placed in bucket and water added...
    Yeast started in a starter bottle and added...

Left for 3 days to begin fermentation stirred twice daily...

Placed into demi john and left until completion...

Fermenting comfortably in the airing cupboard now after the initial crazing died down, hence bucket for initial...

Smells great and has a lovely "marmalade" zing
    ex ovo omnia
    Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Wow thats a lot of oranges! I used just the one (on the conventional recipe).

Out of interest, what was your starting gravity? Think mine was around 1095. Its been going since the 2 November now. Bubbles from the airlock have slowed down somewhat from one every couple of seconds to once every 25-30 seconds. Still got the heater jacket on it to keep it snug!

Owl.
    A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Mines in the airing cupboard on a heater tray... Will check my notes tomorrow for the starting SG, from memory it was pretty much at the top end...
      ex ovo omnia

Comment

Originally posted by Omniata View Post
        Mines in the airing cupboard on a heater tray... Will check my notes tomorrow for the starting SG, from memory it was pretty much at the top end...
        It might be better to keep it out somewhere, because fermenting it at too higher temperature can easily cause the production of harsh tasting fusels.

If that were the case, it would be harder to remove/modify/age to remove it or the taste, than it is just to age out any "alcohol hot"/medicinal/mouthwash flavour caused by just a high alcohol content.......

If you can check the temp range of the yeast, but try to keep it at the lower range, I'd have thought that you'd get a better flavour......

regards

jtfb
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

How is this progressing Jim?
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            How is this progressing Jim?
            Not so bad, nearing the end of fermentation now...

Unfortunately in my own stupidity I topped up with water instead of orange juice and the flavour's a bit "weak"
            Kicked myself rotten after doing it but I can always add more as I expect it to be a little on the strong side

There isn't much evidence of the spices I added but it does have a nice crisp "bite" to it which I'm pleased with...

I may add some more mace when I add the orange juice, but I'm tempted to use a tropicana pre-squeezed and "no bits" juice to top up with now it's nearing the end...

I'll have to consult the old hydrometer before doing so just to see where I'm at...

Considering all the fresh orange juice added and how mirky meads go, it has cleared brilliantly already
            I think a top up and some bentonite will see it through...
            ex ovo omnia

Comment

Working...
            X