• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheeky brewery

very short article, made me chuckle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8392807.stm

what do you think?

i think its very funny, but their label is irresponsible (would have encouraged me as a youngster)
    Irresponsible Labelling, not funny
    0%
    Irresponsible labelling but funny
    0%
    Funny
    0%
    Funny but nanny state
    0%
    Nanny state, not funny
    0%
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

I had to vote funny, but nanny state.

Shouldn't have to protect people from themselves.
    Steve

Comment

Bob and I were just talking about this sort of thing. Like how the label on a jar of peanut butter says "warning: may contain nuts."
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post

true true, and i remember having lots of fun with EKU28, owd rodger, scrumpy, barley wine, guinness and so on, mixed into various pints with names like "black death" "blackout" "total eclipse" etc. One pub used to give a refund on the cost of your drinks if you didn't passout or throw up after having the 3 killer pints. Regardless of whether a label says something like "excess is good sometimes" young men will be boys when it comes to strong beers. Word soon gets around about what is the strongest - regardless of how horrible it is.

i wonder how much of the "nanny state" beer got sold?
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post

Ah, but to be fair Steve, you're in the US. So you probably see as many EU based "straight banana" rubbish stories, as we do here about having to label microwave ovens as being unsuitable for drying the dog after it's been washed and the resulting "dead dog" lawsuit.......

The "risk averse" society we live in, particularly here in the UK, is often about mis-interpretation of rules etc, especially when it comes to health and safety related stuff.

The problem that the linked article highlights, isn't necessarily about the advertising, it's more about the fact that some pompous quango/watchdog thinks that we should really give a toss about what they have to say. They'll have some sort of angle or agenda, though not really knowing (and not being bothered about finding out) who or what the portman group are, just makes it one of those "and finally" stories, that someone's dug up to use as a filler. You know the ones, skateboarding or surfing Jack Russell terriers, or maybe border Collies with a higher goal scoring average than David bleeding Beckham!

The only real issue, is the insidious nature of such stories, brings all the curtain twitching "Mary Whitehouse" types out of the wood work.....

It's probably less that someone with any credence has complained that these nosey parker types think that someone "might" complain. And very little worry about whether any complaint might actually have a shred of validity........

Personally I'm more worried about whether David Cameron is going to pay back the expenses claimed on chocolate bars. A possible future leader of the country has to stoop so low as putting in receipts for small chocolate bars says more to me about unbelieveable greed of some of our politicians, than worrying about whether people are likely to buy, frankly, over priced beer in Scotland......

Most of these type of "beers" are a "flash in the pan". Marketing hype, special editions and other such nonsense, just to get the makers name in the media.......</soapbox>

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

so John, i guess you didn't find it funny

not even the "nanny state" follow up brew?

talking of 'and finally' stories, did you see the one of the crazy folks kite surfing over southend pier in our recent high winds?

edit: checked the poll, you did find it funny. Good rant by the way ... more please !
            Last edited by ms67; 03-12-2009, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms67 View Post
              Good rant by the way ... more please !

er.....no

enjoyed this one

but note to everyone:

please leave your politics at the door when entering
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 04-12-2009, 03:16 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

sorry 'bout that,

should've seen the potential for thermo-nuclear political meltdown in this one, i guess my labelling didn't help!

Comment

-----%<-----
                  talking of 'and finally' stories, did you see the one of the crazy folks kite surfing over southend pier in our recent high winds?
                  -----%<-----
                  Did "they" do that at Southend as well ? I only saw the report about the curtain twitchers getting upset when they jumped over Worthing Pier, though one of the lads also said they where planning an attempt on the Palace Pier at Brighton as well......

S'pose we'll have to "watch this space" and wait for the next bout of higher than usual winds for any further "entertainment"..

regards

jtfb
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

sorry 'bout that,

not a problem.....

Just modding, no harm done
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                      Did "they" do that at Southend as well ? I only saw the report about the curtain twitchers getting upset when they jumped over Worthing Pier, though one of the lads also said they where planning an attempt on the Palace Pier at Brighton as well......

S'pose we'll have to "watch this space" and wait for the next bout of higher than usual winds for any further "entertainment"..

regards

jtfb
                      you could be right there, dunno for sure which pier it was on reflection. But impressive and mad all at the same time, not least 'cos it was mighty cold!

Comment

Working...
                      X