Rose Petal Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose Petal Wine

I haven't tried this before, but my better half was intrigued by the bags of dried rose petals in the HBS so i'm giving it a go and will let you know how it turns out

Ingredients

50 Grams dried rose petals
    245g (1 small can) youngs white grape concentrate
    juice of 2.5 Lemons
    1 Tspoon Tartaric acid
    Sugar to OG 1080-1085
    1/4 Tspoon Tannin
    Nutrient
    Sauternes Yeast
    Water to a touch over 1 gallon

Method

Steep rose petals in boiled water with grape concentrate, sugar, lemon juice and a campden tablet, in a sealed fermenting bin until the temperature drops enough to add yeast and other ingredients. Check gravity and adjust. Remove petals after a few days to a week (i believe that going up to a week only enhances the colour and the extra few days does nothing for the flavour). Move to secondary, rack etc as and when needed.

Thoughts

I want this to have every chance of displaying plenty of rose character/taste/smell. Hence a light touch with the volume and colour of grape concentrate and tannin. I believe tartaric acid is good for enhancing delicate flavours/aromas, hence its inclusion. Sauternes is simply my favourite yeast and is easy to work with, bottom fermenting, low foaming, little sediment that is reasonably compact. Thought about late addition of petals but it all seemed to get too complicated then. OG thanks to good advice from WAH folks about balance.

Your thoughts will be very welcome.
    Last edited by ms67; 04-12-2009, 10:08 PM.
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

a few months old was too young, tickled the throat like white pepper can do, however it promised much and showed where angel delight gets it's flavour. After a year, no tickle, simply a delight. all i'll change next time round is extending the waiting.
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

.. perhaps a few rose petals later in the fermentation? (I heard a wise man mention this somewhere... think beer hopping)
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
      X