2010 WinExpert Limited Edition Kit's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 WinExpert Limited Edition Kit's

Now taking orders, the first of which should be due out in Febuary, as of last year give or take a few weeks due to overseas shipping.
    Price is slightly up on last year, but I am awaiting a confirmed list from the supplier, remember though all WAH members get 5% discount + free delivery.
    This year is WinExpert's 20th celebration of Limited Edition, as a result they are reproducing the best of the best. WinExpert will be bringing back five of the most popular Limited Edition varieties of all time.

These wines sell out every year and, as their name suggests, they can only be ordered during a very short time period annually prior to their release. The varieties offered will suit the adventurous wine lover who wants to try unique varieties from up and coming wine regions across the world.

Premium | Selection Limited Edition Series | Red
    Australian Petit Verdot - February 2010 Limited Release

The Region: South East Australia is a literal hotbed of grape growing. The abundant sunshine hours and heat allow growers to ripen varieties that have all but been abandoned by growing regions less blessed. Petit Verdot is one such variety. It makes unsurpassed red wines in Bordeaux, where it goes into their classic Cabernet-Merlot blends, yet the climate there is too cool to ripen it reliably.
    The Wine: Best described as a ‘Super Cabernet’, it makes dark, rich wines, with wonderfully concentrated flavours of spice, blackberry and blackcurrant. With smooth, gripping tannins and an elegant structure leading to a magnificent boldly oaked finish, this is a wine for long term ageing and special occasions.
    The Food: Excellent when paired with steak, prime rib, lamb, intense cheeses, and game.
    (Originally offered in April 2004)
    Sweetness: DRY | Body: FULL | Oak Intensity: HEAVY

Premium | Selection Limited Edition Series | White
    California Lake County Trio Blanca - January 2010 Limited Release

The Region: In California’s Lake County, the vineyards nestle in steep hills in the west, while Clear Lake, directly east, moderates the blistering heat of summer, ensuring slow, even ripening and perfect grapes.
    The Wine: A unique blend of three grapes, Selection Limited Edition Trio Blanca is an outstanding white wine that showcases bright fruit flavours, excellent structure, and a long finish. Pinot Blanc contributes the delicate floral character and full body while Chenin Blanc gives a wonderful melony-honeyed aroma with hints of apple. The third grape variety, Sauvignon Blanc contributes zesty acidity and aromas of gooseberry and herbs. After six months ageing, the Sauvignon Blancwill dominate with zest and crispness. After a year, the Chenin Blanc‘s honey and melon will come out, and at 18 months to two years the Pinot Blanc will show a perfumed floweriness andlingering structure.
    The Food: Enjoy by itself or serve Trio Blanca with seafood, chicken or vegetarian dishes.
    (Originally offered in January 2005)
    Sweetness: DRY | Body: MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: NONE

Italian Brunello - April 2010 Limited Release

The Region: Italy’s long, narrow peninsula reaches deep into the Mediterranean,basking in the relentless sunshine and welcoming warmth. Gentle sloping hillsides, rich mineral soils, the moderating breezes off of the Mediterranean waters and unique grape varieties work to make wonderful wines.
    The Wine: Brunello is a large-berried variety of the Sangiovese grape, most famous in Brunello di Montalcino. The flavour profile of Sangiovese is fruity, with strong natural acidity, a firm and elegant assertiveness and a robust finish that can extend surprisingly long. The aroma is generally subtle, with cherry, strawberry, blueberry, and violet notes. Medium-bodied but boldly tannic and intense, this gripping wine will begin to open up after six months, but the richer flavours will take at least 18 months to show, with cherry and spice dominating the long, fruity finish.
    The Food: Brunello shines in the company of assertively flavoured foods. Hard cheeses such as Asiago and Parmigiano Reggiano are splendid accompaniments and the wines backbone of acids and tannins make it work well with rich and spicy foods like Italian sausages or lasagna.
    (Originally offered in April 2007)
    Sweetness: DRY | Body: MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: MEDIUM

Premium | Selection Limited Edition Series | White
    Pacific Quartet - March 2010 Limited Release

The Region: The Pacific Coast of North America has micro-climates that match those of the blazing sunshine of the Mediterranean to the crisp mountain air of the upper Rhine. With so much range and variety, there is a perfect terroir for almost any grape you can name.
    The Wine: This wine showcases bright fruit, excellent structure and a long finish. Vidal from British Columbia gives spiciness and stone fruit. Chenin Blanc from California gives a wonderful melony-honeyed aroma with hints of apple. Gewürztraminer from Washington contributes lychee, rose petals and floral notes, and Muscat from Australia’s Murray- Darling Valley gives wonderful grapey notes with dried fruit and hints of orange peel.
    The Food: This wine has a range of fruit character and enough acidity to stand up to a wide range of foods, particularly spicy and savoury dishes, including Thai cuisine, grilled fish, herbed roast chicken or barbecued salmon. Although delicious right on bottling day, drinking it early would prevent it from showing it’s best–after six months the Muscat and Vidal will dominate with spicy/grapey notes, after a year the Chenin Blanc’s honey and melon will come out, and at 18 months to two years the Gewurztraminer will show a perfumed floweriness and lush structure.
    (Originally offered in March 2007)
    Sweetness: OFF-DRY | Body: MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: NONE

South African Shiraz - January 2010 Limited Release

The Region: Stellenbosch is South Africa’s oldest growing region, the centre for study of viticulture and oenology in Africa, and the heart of the wine industry. Famous for its stunning natural beauty, it has soaring mountains, forests, vineyards, olive groves and veldts. South Africa’s finest red wines thrive in the Cape’s moderate climate, and the Shiraz from this region is dense with jammy richness, intense fruit, and complex spiciness.
    The Wine: This wine has a dense, chewy blackberry, earthiness and robust character. This medium/full bodied wine almost begs for early drinking, with spice and rich fruit, but the bold tannins and rich jamminess (typical of Shiraz) will allow it to improve with age for a further 2 years.
    The Food: The pepper, plums and red fruit aromas and abundant tannins blend wonderfully with barbecue, grilled red meat and stews.
    (Originally offered in January 2006)
    Sweetness: DRY | Body: MEDIUM-FULL | Oak Intensity: HEAVY

The advantage this year of course is that many members will have previously made & drunk these kit's, I personaly have had the pleasure of trying the Petit Verdot made by Bob, 3 years old but absolutely sublime. I do believe member 'Rich' has done the Pacific Quartet which is another I quite fancy trying .

Edit: Ah crap, every time I read the description I fancy another, hmmm!!
    Last edited by Duffbeer; 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

The Pacific Quartet is superb - Rich's was without doubt the best kit white I have tried.

Karl, you have a PM
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

The Petit Verdot is simply awesome....best kit I ever made

one of those for me please Karl
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 12-01-2010, 10:57 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi Duffbeer,

What sort of price were they last year.

Thanks Fred
        Your Success Our Innovation

Comment

Whites were £66.95 & reds were £69.95.
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

If you age these for three years you end up with the sort of wine that would cost you £20-£25 at the wine store
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks all

one Petit Verdot for me please Duffbeer

Regards Fred
              Your Success Our Innovation

Comment

I also made the Brunello the other year. We had one this weekend, it was brilliant, much better than when we last tried one in October (when the kits were announced) Very tempted to get one of those too..

Comment

Sulk - I'm skint so nothing for me thanks, unless anyone wants to have a collection and send me a present
                  HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Wedding present list Jo?

Comment

This years price will be £69.95 for whites & £71.95 for reds - 5% WAH discount, the supplier has also informed me they won't be getting excess kits in this year, so all kits must be ordered before the end of January. However no need to pay for them until I recieve them.
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Petit Verdot and pacific quartet for me please
                        http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                        http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Petit Verdot and Pacific Quartet for me please. There seems to be a bit of an echo in here.
                          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I too am a bit skint
                            Bummer
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

wish i could afford one of these, and that i was sure i had the patience to wait the years for it to age. Still, something to look forward to making in the years ahead.
                              To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                              A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
                              X