Youngs Chardonnay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngs Chardonnay

They say that people only add reviews to t'internet if something is very good or very bad...

Kit: Young's Chardonnay
    Cost: £2.99 (+sugar)

I've done a few kits mainly at the cheaper end of the good market (CC and Beaverdale) and have been very impressed with how simple decent quality wine, to an untrained palette, can be.

Having a few DJs lying dormant, I gave one of these ultra-cheap kits a go.

Following the instructions to the letter, and racking a couple of times, I bottled up 6 bottles of crystal clean wine.

Giving them about two months, I've tried a couple of bottles. Both were thin, unbalanced, too acidic with no lasting taste except a slightly peculiar but not infection based aroma.

The reds I've tried from the same range were average and definitely worth the very modest outlay for. However, in my opinion, this is one to avoid.

£2.99? Where do you get a kit for £2.99?
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

Comment

Local Wilkos. Had a few dented cans over the last few weeks including the slightly better YDW Cab Sauv at £1.99!

They are getting rid of the winemaking stuff so a load has been on special. I always get my gear from a local HBS, but more than happy to help Wilkos get rid of their stock (airlocks 10p, Youngs 2 part finings 30p each etc.)!

Comment

At those sort of prices it's worth making them and saving for summer and mixing with lemonade to make a long cold drink.
        “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
        Groucho Marx

Comment

Hi:

I've just bottled a gallon of youngs definitive chardonnay. I also bottled a beaverdale white bougeron at the same time.

Just opened one of each (5 days post bottling which is patient for me!).

Now the Beaverdale is definitely better (smoother nice lightly oaked almost toasty palette and more body) BUT
          The youngs is not bad at all for the price (5.99 from wilkos). It is easily worth the £1.20 a bottle price and I am really chuffed with it. The better half is more of a wine snob than me and she was also rather impressed (improves my funding chances for further forays into more expensive kits!).

I have also just bottled a youngs cellar7 chardonnay which I am wondering if I will ever be able to drink! Very odd unpalatable odour of yeast extract etc.. This was a 30 bottle kit so I am crossing everything that it will be drinkable in a month or 2..

I seriously doubt that there will be any of the beaverdale or the youngs left by then though!.

cheers...hic...hic

Mark

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Davekermito, you didnt actually follow the instructions to the letter did you?

You racked it twice. It doesnt say anywhere on the instructions to rack it. This is a quick beginner kit that doesnt drop too many Lees and I think where you went wrong. Ive done a couple now and theve always turned out good (after a couple of months to mature) , however bearing in mind Wine no 1 is cheaper and drinkable at the time of bottling I dont really bother with the Youngs kits anymore. Have you tried that yet?

Comment

Originally posted by darrel View Post
              Davekermito, you didnt actually follow the instructions to the letter did you?

You racked it twice. It doesnt say anywhere on the instructions to rack it. This is a quick beginner kit that doesnt drop too many Lees and I think where you went wrong. Ive done a couple now and theve always turned out good (after a couple of months to mature) , however bearing in mind Wine no 1 is cheaper and drinkable at the time of bottling I dont really bother with the Youngs kits anymore. Have you tried that yet?
              1 DJ to the instructions = awful
              1 DJ racked a couple of times = ditto

I've got 5 gallons of reliable WN1 on, only bought the cans as they were cheap.

Comment

which youngs kit was it? the wine buddy or the definative?

the first one i did was the wine buddy starter kit and that was awful. had a really strong aftertaste. its been bottled and left now for 3 months so may crack open another bottle to see what its like now.

Comment

Working...
                X