Seeds from Blackberries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeds from Blackberries

If you took all of the pulp and seeds from your straining bag that was used in the Primary stage of Blackberry wine and lightly buried it in the ground would it sprout and grow??? I didn't know if the fermentation process would have adverse effects on the seeds or not. Thanks for the comments, Lynn

I am not sure about the life cycle of the blackberry. I do know that with tomatoes, they have to semiferment before they will sprout.

I am sure Glenvall will be able to help out with this one.

Pat

Comment

David, I have never attempted this. What is the flavor like of the second run?? Do you just add sugar, water and chemicals to the second run? Do you end up having to add Blackberry flavoring to the second run??

Comment

Lynn, I actually thought you to be joking about planting the blackberry pulp!

Blackberry plants are cheap and readily available to plant. They do alot better if planted in nov-dec.
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Besides which would you really want 8 and a half million blackberry bushes in your garden? As one who is still trying to get rid of the bloody things after 5 years I would think very carefully about planting them if I were you. Cultivated ones are OK but not the wild ones.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Seriously now!!!

I have cultivated Blackberry plants already. But I also have a small farm of 70 acres and would like to plant some of this variety if it will work. I bought 20 gallons of berries from a guy at work and these things were huge and had awesome flavor. I have property that borders a railroad right of way and there is approx. 50 yards between my property line and the Railroad. I was going to plant in several spots along that property line if they will grow. Now, pick yourselves up off the floor and catch a breath from laughing at an ol' farmboy. Do you all think it will work? I understand what my be obsurd if I had 1/2 to maybe 2 acres and a garden plot. I believe I might be able to spare a little and if not there is always GLY-4 (Generic Round-UP). Thanks for the input you all and quit snickering, Lynn

Comment

Before you go down this route it might be worth checking the best way to get plants that produce the same kind of berries, I know that its almost impossible to replicate grape vines by planting seeds, you must use cuttings, if blackberries are the same then you need to beg/borrow/steal cuttings from the source you got the berries from.

Im not sure if they will be ok from seeds.

try checking here

http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk

ooo blackberries are known as brambles here in the UK

I would check for you but need to go out soon

hope this helps

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

had a quick look and it seems they are better propagated from cuttings, and are not likely to produce the same plant as the parent from seed. So it would seem that cuttings or layering is the way to go

there is loads of info at the sites I have listed below

http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php...ges_prefs=both

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1982/index.html

hope this helps

regards
                Bob
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 20-02-2006, 06:27 PM.
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Blackberries propagate themselves by layering. They just root any where the stem touches the ground. Obviously with all that room you're not bothered about them rampaging all over the place. You could, however, manage them enough to make a walkway between rows.
                  Let's party

Comment

Blackberries

Mamgiowl, I thought I would plant them along the border of one of the fields. From what Everyone said I will probably try to get some plants.

Comment

Good idea, cultivated ones are not as invasive as the wild varieties. Until they get really established you might think of trying to give some protection from birds. They love 'em and can strip a small bush in a day.
                      Let's party

Comment

Blackberries actually will send up new shoots from the roots also as well as layering themselves.
                        REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Your best bet is to go around tasting different wild blackberry bushes because there are thousands of strains and pick the one(s) that taste best. Bring a spade with you and dig up a root. I promise that within 5 years your row of cultivated blackberries will be rampant and will have probably crossed with several other wild varieties. Their management is very challenging, but easiest if they grow into a hedge. You also have the benefit of varieties that are suited to your soil, climate etc.

Comment

Lynn,
                            I bet the local Ag extention office could give you some info on your question.
                            what's brewing; 6 gal. apple/raspberry in secondary 10 gal crabapple in secondary 9 gal. wild grape in secondary 16 gal. plum in secondary 5 gal. high bush cranberry/raspberry in secondary. 6 gal. staghorn sumac in secondary 3 gal. dried fruit in secondary

Comment

Depends on what you get!

BTW...when you plant hybrid plants, they stay hybrid plants. Pollination from other plants will help them produce berries, but does not change them.

Now, if you just go round digging up BB plants from anywhere and everywhere, you will get all kinds of weedy, thorny, prostrate plants.

I have thornless erect hybrid blackberry plants developed by the University of Arkansas. They are very easy to manage and are readily available through mailorder and internet at very low prices. Most of the berries are as large as a quarter and they are all very sweet and tasty and make excellent wine or jelly.

Attached Files
                              REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Working...
                              X