No announcement yet.

Seeds from Blackberries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My partner was given some raspberry, loganberry and blackberry plants this year, so I had to build her raised growing bed for them. Unfortunately as it was toward the end of the planting season, the blackberry and loganberry didn't survive.

The book we got to find out about this did point out that they are just as easy to train as raspberries, though as others have said, it may be worth considering variety.

If the ones you get are of the type that will layer or throw out "runners", then they might be a complete b*****d to remove if you wanted to change later. I speak from experience as I've spend the last 3 years trying to rid my garden borders of them, and that includes the now ubiquitous 2 foot deep holes trying to follow the roots/runners, which are defeating me as they disappear under the garden walls into neighbouring property. Plus they also don't seem to be much affected by the strongest of systemic garden weed killers - I'm thinking of trying an agricultural merchants for the industrial grade stuff (only snag is that I don't really need 5 gallons of concentrate or enough for 100 acres ).

Well that's my 2 pence worth

regard

fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I agree. After just seeing the quality of the blackberries developed at the University of Arkansas - I would definately go that rout if you want more blackberry plants - Seem to be nearly seedless and get less costly the more you purchase. Cheers DAW

Special Blackberry Varieties
      OUACHITA (Thornless)
      Forth release of patented thornless blackberry from the University of Arkansas. Ripens June 12th in Arkansas. Very productive, medium to large fruit, sweet, firm berries. Suitable for fresh market or commercial shipping. Good disease resistant. Very erect, free standing plant that will bridge the gap between Arapaho and Navaho. Zones 5-8.

TRIPLE CROWN (Thornless)
      This variety is a semi erect type plant, bears very heavy, large fruit with excellant flavor. It will be earlier ripening than the Chester and is as winter hardy as Chester, makes a very sturdy cane system. Winds do not effect this variety as bad as others, canes do not brake at base, like some types do.

Navaho (Thornless) Patent #6679
      First ever Thornless Blackberry that's erect and self-supporting. Has glossy black berries, sweeter and firmer than previous thornless varieties, with smaller seed size. Also very winter hardy. This Patented variety requires little maintenance. No wires or trellis needed. Ripens June 20 in zone 7.

Arapaho (Thornless) "Patented"
      Earliest Thornless Blackberry in existence. Ripens June 3 in zone 7. Plants are erect and self-supporting, very winter hardy with no disease problems. The berries are large and very firm, excellent flavor. Arapaho will complement Navaho in providing a longer harvest season of Thornless Blackberries.

APACHE (Thornless) "Patented"
      This variety is erect and stands up better than most all varieties. Apache has out produced the Arapaho and Navaho in test plots at the University of Arkansas. Fruiting season is just behind the Navaho, around June 23 in zone 6. Fruit of Apache is larger than the Arapaho and Navaho, and flavor is almost as good as the Navaho. No disease problems have been found, and no signs of Orange Rust have been spotted in any of the plantings.It has an excellant fruit Quality, glossy black conical shape fruit. Winter hardiness is very similar to Arapaho and Navaho.

Kiowa (Thorny) "Patented"
      This blackberry has the largest berry size on the market. 30% larger than Shawnee, though yields are not as high as Shawnee. It is still very productive. Berries are firm with excellent flavor. Ripen over a six week period, starting around June 13th. It maintains large size throughout the harvesting period. Plant establishes a hedge row quickly, and has good disease resistance. It is resistant to Orange Rust, and somewhat resistant to Anthracnose. Plants are erect.

Chickasaw (Thorny) "Patented"
      This variety is very early ripening about three days later than the Choctaw, Size of fruit is similair to Kiowa. Yields were higher than any of the previous thorny releases, from Arkansas. Flavor of fruit was rated very high. Fruit is large and long and cylindrical in shape, very firm fruit, with black glossy finish. Hardiness is comparible to the Shawnee and Kiowa, and better than the Choctaw.Chickasaw is moderately resistant to Anthracnose, and no signs of Orange Rust have been spotted in plantings.

Prices
      Minimum of 5 plants of 1 variety

5 to 25 plants - 1.75 Each

Comment

They stay mostly green here all winter, but might not be totally hardy up north very far. If I remember right, USDA zone 4 is the cold limit. I could be wrong. In the coldest part of winter, some of the leaves will turn a nice purple color.

Did you click and see the berries in my post above?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

have you ever thought of planting them in a nice secluded public spot e.g parks as such and save your garden.
          i came ,i saw, i drank ..........................................i fell down

Comment

No.
            REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

ok
              i came ,i saw, i drank ..........................................i fell down

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                They stay mostly green here all winter, but might not be totally hardy up north very far. If I remember right, USDA zone 4 is the cold limit. I could be wrong. In the coldest part of winter, some of the leaves will turn a nice purple color.

Did you click and see the berries in my post above?

Cheers - I agree Zone 4 seems to be the limit and still iffy. Winter die back of the stems and grows back from the roots after spring warm up.

I think you would be surprised at the warmth of the Okanagan Valley it is the extension of the Sonora? desert that extends from California up through the Okanagan Valley in British Colombia Canada. Zones in the valley range from 5 -7 in the micro climate areas. They have just started to try and grow Zinfandel Grapes in the extreme South of the Valley and have had continued success with Shiraz.

What is your assessment on the new varieties with very few seeds. They have great flavour and appearance. How would you feel about extending the length of time these particular varieties without the seeds are kept in the must during primary fermentation? I think this should be an overall benefit - longer fermentation with the skins - more color more flavour? Cheers DAW

Comment

I have not noticed fewer seeds. I can always detect a hint of the seed taste in blackberry wine, the same with the jelly. I think with blackberries you need to be sure they are very ripe and I cannot tell the difference just pressing and using the juice, after thawing from the freezer versus having the berries in the must. It seems to come out the same either way for me. Maybe slightly lighter color. No difference in taste.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

I have not noticed fewer seeds. I can always detect a hint of the seed taste in blackberry wine, the same with the jelly. I think with blackberries you need to be sure they are very ripe and I cannot tell the difference just pressing and using the juice, after thawing from the freezer versus having the berries in the must. It seems to come out the same either way for me. Maybe slightly lighter color. No difference in taste.

Oh - I have sure noticed it in the ones that this farmer is growing. I ate a couple hand fulls and could not detect a seed. I have also eaten many wild ones (seeds) and we all know the blackberry jam high seed content. Anyway, I have got 23 liters of blackberry Mead on the go - I will experiment with these and leave them in the must for the 7 days. With the 1122 yeast we should be getting the max flavour extraction. Cheers DAW

Comment

Well I know mine don't have near the seeds the wild ones have. I cannot imagine blackberries having no seeds.

If you freeze the berries, then press them, and prepare your must with only the juice, you will not know the difference in the final product. The blackberries virtually mush down to nothing when they thaw. Really the only thing left recognizable is the little green cores.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Some intersting stuff here, good debate!

If you freeze the berries, then press them, and prepare your must with only the juice, you will not know the difference in the final product. The blackberries virtually mush down to nothing when they thaw. Really the only thing left recognizable is the little green cores.

I'm going to give this method a try, would you suggest doing the same with elderberries?
                        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

No, freeze the elderberries for a month or so, use the thawed berry pulp, juice and all, until SG falls to about 1.020, then press and rack to glass.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Agreed - do the same with black currants... Cheers DAW

Comment

i dumped a load of fermented blackberry pulp in the garden two years ago(near the compost bin didnt think it was a good idea to put them in)
                              ive been pulling weed seedlings religously for upto four years and doing quite well except for where i dumped the pulp its like a square foot of nursery seedlings each year i thought the alcohol content would kill the seeds so go carefully

Comment

What a good debate.

Dare I mention 'seedless grapes' it could also be true of blackberries?

What a good debate.

I dumped my grape pressings a couple of years ago - next year BOOM shoots everywhere - is this how vineyards started LOL!
                                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                                X