Beartrap (Bärenfang) Honeybrandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beartrap (Bärenfang) Honeybrandy

From 'Unser Kochbuch' Leipzig 1953 (East German cookbook)

Beartrap (Bärenfang)

250gm Bee honey
    1/4 liter Brandy

Warm honey gently until it's runny. Add the brandy (40%) to a larger bottle which you warm in hot water, carefully pour in the honey, seal with a cork/bottle top and shake the bottle until both ingredients are completely mixed. Seal the bottle and leave to stand for a few weeks.

----
    I make this every X-mas on the 24th to be opened the next X-mas at the earliest. It not only tastes divine when sipped neat, but also makes a great mixer and is my secret ingredient to make fruit salad special, and of course a superior medicine for soothing a sore throat. You can also use cognac for this, and the quality of the honey here matters a lot, the best selection is a robust but fragrant flavour (so clover honey is not a good choice here for example).

I've still some left I made 12 years ago, and this stuff simply just gets better every year you can somehow manage to keep your mitts off it.

Nepenthes

Originally posted by Nepenthes View Post
    From 'Unser Kochbuch' Leipzig 1953 (East German cookbook)

Beartrap (Bärenfang)

250gm Bee honey
    1/4 liter Brandy

Warm honey gently until it's runny. Add the brandy (40%) to a larger bottle which you warm in hot water, carefully pour in the honey, seal with a cork/bottle top and shake the bottle until both ingredients are completely mixed. Seal the bottle and leave to stand for a few weeks.

----
    I make this every X-mas on the 24th to be opened the next X-mas at the earliest. It not only tastes divine when sipped neat, but also makes a great mixer and is my secret ingredient to make fruit salad special, and of course a superior medicine for soothing a sore throat. You can also use cognac for this, and the quality of the honey here matters a lot, the best selection is a robust but fragrant flavour (so clover honey is not a good choice here for example).

I've still some left I made 12 years ago, and this stuff simply just gets better every year you can somehow manage to keep your mitts off it.

Nepenthes
    So I presume that this kind of mix comes out quite viscous ??? at the 1 gramme of honey to 1 millilitre of spirit ........

Might have to try it, if I can find a honey that fits the bill....... buckwheat ??? or less dark/malty ???

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
      So I presume that this kind of mix comes out quite viscous ??? at the 1 gramme of honey to 1 millilitre of spirit ........

Might have to try it, if I can find a honey that fits the bill....... buckwheat ??? or less dark/malty ???

regards

jtfb
      Yes initially when it cools and settles, but then it thins over time. If not, just add more brandy. If in doubt, store it some more time.

Dark, malty is fine since the honey has to compete and blend with the brandy in the base taste so you want something strong, and you can of course mix honeys as well, for example, add some orange blossom honey for the floral fragrance notes. As an example, last year's X-mas Beartrapper was Lavender honey and cognac.

I also used Asbach Uralt(ok, shoot me now) with Löwenzahnhonig (Dandelion) honey and Metaxa with some greek honey, all turned out very nice. I like to choose the national alcohol of the honey, but this is more of a whim of mine.

I can also imagine that a clove or one corn of the inside of a black cardamom pod would be rather interesting additions to try.

Happy bear trapping

Nepenthes

Comment

Working...
      X