SO2, TA, and Alcohol Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO2, TA, and Alcohol Calculator

For anyone who's interested, I've uploaded this handy calculator. It's in Microsoft Excel 2003 format.

When you open the file, a message will pop up asking if you want to enable macros. You must enable macros in order for it to function properly.

If you have any questions or suggestions for improvement, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I also have to give credit where credit is due. A fellow named Jay Spence created the basic calculator. I added the alcohol calculator section, as well as an imperial gallons area to the SO² section.

I hope it proves useful for you.

www.winesathome.co.uk/downloads/SO2_TA_ABV_calc.xls
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 20-03-2010, 08:20 PM. Reason: uploaded file to the Server...Cheers Steve (and Fat LAd Jay too)
    Steve

Thank you - I am pretty sure this will be invaluable.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks NorthernWiner, looks usefull.
      Just one question, if I want to add extra sugars part way through fermentation is it simply a matter of adding the increase in SG to the OG to get the total ?

Ie: Starting SG 1.080 brewed out to 1.000 then juice added, new SG 1.015
      Total SG therefore 1.095?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Ie: Starting SG 1.080 brewed out to 1.000 then juice added, new SG 1.015
        Total SG therefore 1.095?
        That's a good question. I don't normally do that, preferring instead to add all the sugar at the start. But just thinking it through, it seems like it wouldn't be completely correct because SG is skewed as juice ferments and alcohol is added into the equation (alcohol has a lower SG than water).

Maybe someone here who is familiar with sugar feeding can add to this conversation.
        Steve

Comment

Calculate it in two chunks:

1.080 -> 1.000 .... calculate alcohol

add sugar to 1.015

1.015 -> final SG .... calculate alcohol

Add the results together to get the total alcohol content.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Thanks

Comment

When adding the sugar as syrup then I always calculate the modified alcohol content (as a result of the dilution effect of the increase in volume). So if you calculate the alcohol in the wine after the first drop and then use the calculator in the tools section to calcualte modified alcohol. You can add the alcohol amount generated in the 2nd drop to get your final value.
              If you are just adding a bit of sugar then I know most people dont bother but when syrup feeding (say when making port) this can affect the results quite a bit 2-3%.
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
              X