X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big league stuff

I am off here to take my winemaking (hopefully) to a higher level

Course Details

MASTERCLASS - LATEST WINEMAKING TECHNIQUES: MANAGING YEASTS AND MALOLACTIC BACTERIA

Keywords/Course description: Covering: Non-Saccharomyces yeast, Malolactic bacteria and a Q&A session on Winemaking issues.
    This course takes place on 26 Apr 2010 at 9:00, at Denbies Wine Estate. It lasts for 8 hours.

Your trainer for this course will be Hentie Swiegers. Hentie Swiegers is Head of Dept. Innovation Wine at Christian Hansen and Affiliate Lecturer in Oenology at University of Adelaide. He is a past research scientist at the Australian Research Institute.
    The secondary trainer is Morten Hassing. Microbiologist at Christian Hansen. Also speaking is Tony Milanowski, Lecturer in Oenology at Plumpton College, past Winemaker for Hardys, Katnook Estate, Australia and Farnese Vini, in Italy.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 31-03-2010, 09:42 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

You are giving the lecture, right?
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

no

I am particularly interested because the Lecturers are Ozzie's

Australia produces about 10% of the worlds wine, but they write over 50% of the recognised papers on how to do it....

should be interesting....I get to wear my anorak for a whole 8 hours.
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 31-03-2010, 12:04 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        should be interesting....I get to wear my anorak for a whole 8 hours.
        The classes are held outdoors?

In any case, it does sound interesting. Have fun. Oh, and while you're hob-nobbing with the Christian Hansen people, perhaps you can ask them why, after 6 months, their ML culture still hasn't completed its work on my '09 Cabernet. I'd really like to get some sulphite in there soon.
        Steve

Comment

I am gonna be real impressed if they can get an their ML fermentation through in 8 hours.

PS where's the course?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Bob you lucky dog I wish I could go. It may be a little over my head though.
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

This course takes place on 26 Apr 2010 at 9:00, at Denbies Wine Estate.

I'm looking forward to the debrief have a good time Bob and take plenty of notes.

Comment

take a dictaphone and a camera :-)
                With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                  Oh, and while you're hob-nobbing with the Christian Hansen people, perhaps you can ask them why, after 6 months, their ML culture still hasn't completed its work on my '09 Cabernet.
                  i can just imagine the scene....I pin him to the blackboard and proclaim..."my mate Steve wants a word with you about this cruddy MLF stuff you sold him!"
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    PS where's the course?
                    the course is at Denbie's wine estate in Surrey
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

i can just imagine the scene....I pin him to the blackboard and proclaim..."my mate Steve wants a word with you about this cruddy MLF stuff you sold him!"
                      Don't worry Bob, we'll hold your coat 'til your nose bleeds!
                      “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

I like it! Dirty deeds done dirt cheap!

I wouldn't normally complain but their MLF stuff is insanely expensive. $35 a pop, and I've popped twice now. Still hasn't finished. Sad thing is, I don't think I paid that much for the grapes.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                          Dirty deeds done dirt cheap!

I don't think he's allowed to trade under that slogan anymore after that time with the vice squad.......
                          With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Yeah - that would work

Have a great time and let us know (in layman's terms) what you learnt.
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

i hope you have a great time, AND get everything from it that you want and expect (and some surprises too!).
                              To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                              A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
                              X