This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK

sorry to report back so late on this....but events kind of took over my life recently.

#Was looking at my notes today and trying to prepare a report for you all.....

most of the seminar was an opportunity for the company providing the speakers to ply their wares...

but some interesting information, particularly in regard to "cultured" wild (non Saccharomyces) yeasts

will post more fully at the weekend
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Mlf

Well the guys were from Cgristian Hansen, and so they were kind of pushing their products, however, they have developed MLF cultures that are CINE.. citrus negative, meaning that once the malic acid is converted, the culture stops working, whereas normal cultures keep munching away, and start to eat the citric acid, resulting in the production of diacetyl, which is what gives chardonnayy its buttery profile. So these new CINE strains can be used on any white wine, so total stability is now possiblewith any grape wine we make.

They maintain that 99% of all MLF problems are temperature or SO2 related

if SO2 levels are less that 20ppm and the temp is 20 deg C and Ph above 3.0 MLF will nearly always complete trouble free
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-11-2011, 04:08 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

20 deg C eh - does primary have to be 100% complete? ie sg 990? My thought are, just keep it going..

RED. off skins and pressed day 8-10, back into fermenter keep the temp right, add cuoture only when is MLF done (how do you test) then first rack and sulphite. ?
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

no look what you have started!!!

I reckon this needs a stainless fish tank heater in the barrel ?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

It will (according to Hentie Sweigers) be OK down to 14 deg, but not below, and they recommend addition at the start of fermentation rather than after it is over, they feel this speeds the process, resulting in stability being achieved earlier and according to Hentie results in less production of Amines which can result in headaches, flushing and vomiting in some individuals.

he also thought it a good idea to use a yeast like lalvin 71B for metabolisation of malic acid, and the use of chalk if necessary to make sure the Ph is in range.

regards
            bob
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM.
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

On the subject of wild yeasts:

some interesting stuff here, they have cultured some of some wild yeasts and are now selling them freeze dried.

They claim wines fermented on wild yeast and then cultured yeasts have much more mouth-feel.

They recommend the use of wild yeasts for the initial stages of fermentation. These yeasts are not so vigorous and therefore do not blow the Esther and thiols (aroma and flavour producers) from the must resulting in wines with bigger flavour and aroma impact. It also means that after two to three days on the wild yeasts, when we introduce our normal yeast cultures, there is already a little alcohol present, not enough to stop fermentation but certainly enough to make sure the yeasts don't ferment wildly, giving us a gentler ferment start to finish.

every year I intend to allow the yeasties on the grapes to conduct the first three days and then introduce my cultured killer strain yeast, but i bottle out every time.....maybe this year i will conduct some side by side trials.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                every year I intend to allow the yeasties on the grapes to conduct the first three days and then introduce my cultured killer strain yeast, but i bottle out every time.....maybe this year i will conduct some side by side trials.
                GEEK!!

I've done this twice now myself, but no side by side trials.

I remember reading an article a few years ago where some Oregon winemaker claimed starting off with wild yeast was the best method for Pinot Noir because a little wild yeast "funk" is desirable for adding complexity. So I tried that with my '08 Cabernet. I let it sit for a few days until there was visible foaming, and then inoculated with a commercial strain, which took over a day or two later. I don't think you would notice anything different about it. I'm bringing a bottle with me in August. I'll let you decide.

I also did a wild yeast ferment on Viognier last year. Start to finish. It's quite delicious, though there is nothing about it that would make you think it was anything out of the ordinary.
                Steve

Comment

I have done wild yeast all the way through. Yes they are gentler, (slower) but that is about the only difference I have noticed.

Having said that I would like to get more 'nose' (without having to add 1.75ml of Brut 33 per 10 litres)

Start wild then go lalvin day 3 or 4 appeals, 'cos I have ALWAYS not sulphited must before I start.

I am in danger of making too many changes this year. I like to stick with one or two so I can see the difference.

PS do like the idea of adding ML culture day 1 - what culture do they recommend?

Comment

Well...they (of course) recommend the Christian Hansen strains , these are the CINE ones they talked of, and they were advocating addition of cultured wild yeast strains (so tame by now?) that they also happen to produce

Prelude & Harmony are the brand names I believe....

I intend addition of MLF at beginning, but will circumspect in regard to nutrient levels...
                    Last edited by lockwood1956; 05-06-2010, 12:31 PM.
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Yeast Strains
                      http://cwc.chr-hansen.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtpos/com!252esap!252eportal!252enavigation!252eportalla uncher!252eanonymous!7b!3b1!7d/prttarget/pcd!253aportal_content!252fch_provided_content!252 fcontent_areas!252fc001a_portal_baseline!252fdeskt ops!252fcom!252echr!252ec001a!252epd_desktop_cwc!2 52fframeworkPages!252fcom!252echr!252ec001a!252efp !252ecwc_light.com!252esap!252eportal!252elightinn erpage.com!252esap!252eportal!252elightcontentarea .content.com!252echr!252ec002a!252eiv!252eproduct_ cat_exp/prtroot/com.sap.portal.navigation.portallauncher.anonymous ?group=VINIFLORA+YEASTS&area=WINE+INGREDIENTS

MLF Stains
                      http://cwc.chr-hansen.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtpos/com!252esap!252eportal!252enavigation!252eportalla uncher!252eanonymous!7b!3b1!7d/prttarget/pcd!253aportal_content!252fch_provided_content!252 fcontent_areas!252fc001a_portal_baseline!252fdeskt ops!252fcom!252echr!252ec001a!252epd_desktop_cwc!2 52fframeworkPages!252fcom!252echr!252ec001a!252efp !252ecwc_light.com!252esap!252eportal!252elightinn erpage.com!252esap!252eportal!252elightcontentarea .content.com!252echr!252ec002a!252eiv!252eproduct_ cat_exp/prtroot/com.sap.portal.navigation.portallauncher.anonymous ?group=VINIFLORA+BACTERIA+CULTURES&area=WINE+INGRE DIENTS

I have signed up as a customer with Christian Hansen, will get prices and report back. Will likely have to buy in bulk, but happy (as ever) to split and share
                      Last edited by lockwood1956; 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Links seem to need password. No matter. Count me in for the BIB SAS.

I am still not sure about buying cultured wild yeast seems oxymoronic to me. Wild yeast IMO is a promotional offer that comes with all grapes purchases. Free!

Comment

Wine

Chr. Hansen's commitment to innovative research into the vinification processes, together with our focus on the application of biotechnological products, makes us a strong partner for wineries throughout the world. As the world leader in the field of malolactic bacteria, we have a unique basis to deliver advice, knowledge and inspiration to the benefit of our customers.

In the crowded global market for wine, it is of utmost importance to differentiate the wine products and to offer the highest quality and value for money. Our customers are the wineries of the world who are on the leading edge of technology, and respond to the increased demand for quality and productivity in their production processes.

We believe in working together with our customers to find innovative solutions to control the important fermentation processes in their wine, and we constantly improve our knowledge through application studies taking place both on the field and in our pilot winery. This helps wineries get a better understanding of the vinification process, which leads to important benefits of greater influence in the flavour control of the wine.

Viniflora Bacteria Cultures

Our patented range of Viniflora® malolactic bacteria cultures for malolactic fermentation in wines includes 4 different strains: Oenos and CH16 for red and some type of rosé wines; CH35 and CH11 for white and rosé. These strains have been carefully selected to achieve a safe and controlled malolactic fermentation bringing 3 main types of advantages:
                          • Higher speed of fermentation
                          • Optimized wine quality through their flavors and mouth feel impact
                          • Top class food safety and quality insurance

On top of these advantages the Viniflora® range only contains direct inoculation products the most convenient inoculation technology to use in a winery: take a pouch or a bag of Viniflora®, open it and pour the content in a tank or a cask... work is finished. It is easy, isn´t it?
                          Last edited by lockwood1956; 05-06-2010, 12:24 PM.
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Viniflora Yeasts

The Viniflora® yeasts offer you a range of quality yeasts with excellent fermentation kinetics and a documented compatibility with our Viniflora® bacteria cultures.
                            MERIT.ferm is a special Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain selected both for red, rosé and white wines and especially suitable for high alcohol content wines.
                            MERIT.ferm is used all over the world by winemakers producing strong but balanced wines up to 17 percent alcohol content. Winemakers using MERIT.ferm claim they prefer this yeast for its specific ability to achieve alcoholic fermentations even in high ethanol concentration conditions and its ability to produce complex flavors.
                            The Viniflora®.nsac yeasts are an innovative range consisting of our well-known S. cerevisiae strains in combination with specially selected non-Saccharomyces strains. These products bring together the best of two worlds i.e. the positive attributes of a spontaneous alcoholic fermentation in terms of complexity, mouth feel and fruitiness, and the positive attributes of a controlled alcoholic fermentation in terms of optimal process control and speed.

HARMONY.nsac and SYMPHONY.nsac are particularly suitable for white and light bodied red wines, while RHYTHM.nsac and MELODY.nsac are the perfect choice for medium to full bodied red wine with an alcohol potential of up to 17 percent.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Other Wine Ingredients

Our product range includes fermentation aids such as Bactiv-aid, which is a nutrient package specifically formulated to strengthen the performance of the bacteria cultures used for malolactic fermentation.

Bactiv-aid, when used together with a malolactic starter culture, can speed up the fermentation process and help prevent a stuck MLF, thereby avoiding many potential problems for the wine producer
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Still waiting for my customer log in details to arrive from them so I can get prices and quantities available.....
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X