King of Yeasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of Yeasts

The 'King of Yeasts' Challenge is well underway now. Still no signs of life yet but it looks like it should be interesting. For those who don't know this is the ground rules:

1. A single 2 gallon batch of Wine No.1 was prepared.
    2. This was seperated between 5 2L Morrisons water bottles (10p each)
    3. To each an appropriate volume of yeast was added, with the yeast having been prepared according to the packet instructions.
    4. Each wine will be taken from pitching to bottling and be guaged both during fermentation and as a drunk wine.
    5. With any luck once the wines are bottled I'll get a bottle of each sent to lockwood and co for judging to see how the flavour is affected by changing the yeast.

The contenders this year are:
    D47
    K1-V1116
    GV1 Green Label
    GV2 Red Label
    Bread Yeast

Yes, BREAD YEAST. Everyone asks when they start out if they can use it, lets find out why you shouldn't
    Also if they are sent to Lockwood and Co. the bottles will not be labled with the contents so they won't known which is which. Lets see if they can find the bread

All in all I'm hoping that this will be good for me (learning by experience) and for anyone else who is curious. If it all goes well, I plan to repeat with a 'Red' wine and see the results from that!

The Ingredients used for the base juice are:

Aldi Apple Juice From Concentrate: 2L
    Aldi Pressed Grape Jucie : 2L
    Sugar: 1.4Kg
    Yeast Neutrient: 2 tsp
    Citric Acid: 2tsp
    Water to 2 Gallons

More to follow as it comes. And pictures when I fidn the cable for my camera.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Good idea
    Good thread
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Sounds like fun, the only thing I might expect at this point is that the bread yeast fermented wine would spoil very easily as I wouldn't expect it to reach 10% alc.
      With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

The sediment will be very fluffy too, and not as compact as the others, and as Ric says, you may well see that it doesnt ferment to dry....
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thats the fun of it I get to find out in a controlled manner what the difference is.

Speaking of not fermenting to dry, I tried some of the wine No. 2 today (wanted to give a friend a taste, to show how it was coming on). I made it using some Asda Summer fruits wine, and I must say that if It was stopped at this moment, it would be a delish mixer for Pimms et al. in the summer. : Success!

On a slightly different note, I have some leftover wine juice that I was going to keep for topping up. Any suggestions of keeping it fresh?

EDIT: Yes I'm a Pimms Drinker. Pimms is probably the greatest thing to come out of England since Great Britain. It keeps me sane during the driech Scottish Summers where the Midge decends from the trees and tries to eat you (and help Bob Geldof fight poverty in Africa)
          Last edited by koomber; 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM. Reason: To profess my love for Pimms
          -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
            On a slightly different note, I have some leftover wine juice that I was going to keep for topping up. Any suggestions of keeping it fresh?
            pop it into a container where there is no air gap and pop it in the fridge.....

if you plan on keeping it longer than a couple of weeks, then sulphite it at a rate of 50 ppm (1 campden tablet per gallon)

or......you could freeze it.

You like experimentation?

freeze it and then thaw out half the volume, this will concentrate the sugars, I do it with grape juice each year, and make icewine out of it.....following Steve's tutorial

here
            Note: I approached Bob several weeks back about writing up an Icewine tutorial. At the time, I didn't have many pics showing the progress. But now I do. - Steve Overview For those of you who have never had it, Icewine (Eiswein in Germany, Vin de Glace in France) is a real treat. More dessert than wine, it can contain up

yum scrum
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Why don't you bring the finished wines down in September and come to grapefest.....tons of fun (bring a sleeping bag, IrnBru and headache tablets)
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                Why don't you bring the finished wines down in September and come to grapefest.....tons of fun (bring a sleeping bag, IrnBru and headache tablets)
                and kilt
                -Police Squad

Comment

now thats just asking for trouble..........there will be drunken women about
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Why do you think Scots wear the kilt at all?
                    Who do you think started the 'What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt rumour'?

As the old saying goes 'Happiness is found under a Sporan'

EDIT: Apparently my spelling of happiness offended the spell checker lol
                    Last edited by koomber; 03-04-2010, 11:01 PM. Reason: A True Scot never tells
                    -Police Squad

Comment

half a wot!, i live in cornwall an they rekon the kilt is theres and the pasty?, as for drumken women!, who cares? if there that drunk its not our fault!

Comment

pop it into a container where there is no air gap and pop it in the fridge.....

if you plan on keeping it longer than a couple of weeks, then sulphite it at a rate of 50 ppm (1 campden tablet per gallon)

or......you could freeze it.

You like experimentation?

freeze it and then thaw out half the volume, this will concentrate the sugars, I do it with grape juice each year, and make icewine out of it.....following Steve's tutorial

here
                        Note: I approached Bob several weeks back about writing up an Icewine tutorial. At the time, I didn't have many pics showing the progress. But now I do. - Steve Overview For those of you who have never had it, Icewine (Eiswein in Germany, Vin de Glace in France) is a real treat. More dessert than wine, it can contain up

yum scrum
                        so that is ice wine, wine juice but half melted? so more sugar, cant i just add sugar to do the same? i had seen the video for rubarb and freezing to get the juice out is it the same thing?
                        Last edited by papasplow; 04-04-2010, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I think the spel-checker gave up when it got to 'sporran'!

Comment

Originally posted by papasplow View Post
                            so that is ice wine, wine juice but half melted? so more sugar, cant i just add sugar to do the same?

Adding more sugar isn't the same.....

This is concentrating the juice, and fermenting without the addition of any more sugar or water. It makes for a difficult ferment as the starting gravity is somewhere near 1.150 so fermentation conditions need to be carefully monitored and adjusted or the ferment will stick.

But the resulting wine is fabulous

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
                              EDIT: Yes I'm a Pimms Drinker. Pimms is probably the greatest thing to come out of England since Great Britain. It keeps me sane during the driech Scottish Summers where the Midge decends from the trees and tries to eat you (and help Bob Geldof fight poverty in Africa)
                              Nowt wrong with Pimms

now thats just asking for trouble..........there will be drunken women about

I have a question... related to the thread
                              Next to the "tick" that shows I have a subscription to the thread, there is a label that says
                              "King of Yeast, not going to finish"
                              How do you get that on the thread title ??
                              Last edited by spritzer; 04-04-2010, 08:08 AM.
                              Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
                              X