X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Wine Circle - May 2010

Virtual Wine Circle Agenda - May 1, 2010
    7:30 pm GMT

Well, it's up and running again, the virtual wine circle is here!

We have uploaded a video series on making kit wines...

The rest are offered to you....
    There are 6 parts to the series...

Also in preparation for a new chapter in VWC's life, we'd like to discuss a bit about the Competition at Scarborough this time, since we have now been given our own class!

The show will be held in sunny Scarborough on the eastern shores, and we're expecting a great turnout, just as we did at Pontefract Open Show last year. The rules are the same, don't worry, but we'd really like to get a head start with this and get everyone prepared in time.

If you are in a wine circle, or have friends who make wine in their homes, please encourage them to enter. It's not expensive, it's non-time consuming (not anymore than making the stuff!), and it great fun. There are some wonderful people to meet, it's informal for the friday (8.00 – 11.00 pm DANCING AND ENTERTAINMENTnwith Chris Myers in the Ocean Room in the beautiful Spa Complex -- Fancy Dress (Theme “American West”), Tombola & Raffles. It really is loads of fun, and a great turnout would be even more fun. Children of all ages love fancy dress, and this is a great opprtunity to talk, walk, drink, dance wine. Anything goes, and it's a load of fun. Ask anyone who's gone!

If you decide not to go, it's a shame, but we still want your wines! Please refer to the instructions below, and get your wines in on time (doors are open now!). You can enter in as many or as few as you like.

Now, on to virtual wine circle and the show:
    We'd like to discuss deadlines, possible changes from the last show we did, maybe new classes, and a lot of feedback. It would be wonderful if we could get some good feedback from those who entered their wines at the show.

We also would like to discuss future meetings, and trying to get people to do more interactive things. If not, we would like to talk about using others' video and how you feel about that. We're all busy, as you know, and since this is a circle, we'd like that everyone is involved!

Of course we need to start talking about Grapefest 2010. What grapes are available, when is it, who's coming, etc....

Were on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...9899814&ref=nf
    Please have people sign up!

To remind you, you are more than welcome to come to the show itself! Go to http://www.yfawb.co.uk/ to download the schedule.... Here's a bit of a sneak peak, though!

PROGRAMME
    YOUR DELEGATE PENDANT SHOULD BE WORN AT ALL TIMES
    NO COMMERCIAL WINES, BEERS OR SPIRITS ALLOWED TO BE CONSUMED
    OTHER THAN THAT PURCHASED FROM THE SPA’S BARS.
    FRIDAY 11TH JUNE
    9.30 am Committee commences setting up and staging etc.,
    3.00 – 4.00 pm Trolley Services from Spa lift and Bus roundabout
    3.00 – 4.30 pm Entries* accepted and staged in the Promenade Lounge
    7.15 – 7.45 pm Entries* accepted and staged in the Promenade Lounge
    8.00 – 11.00 pm DANCING AND ENTERTAINMENT*
    with Chris Myers in the Ocean Room
    Fancy Dress (Theme “American West”), Tombola & Raffles
    SATURDAY 12TH JUNE
    8.45 – 9.15 am Entries* accepted and staged in the Promenade Lounge
    9.15 am Judges and Wine & Beer Stewards will be briefed together
    in the PROMENADE LOUNGE
    9.45 – 12.30 pm JUDGING OF ENTRIES
    1.30 - 2.30 pm Show in the Promenade Lounge open to the public
    2.30 - 3.45pm COMMERCIAL WINE TASTING*
    with Barry Starmore of Oddbins in the Ocean Room.
    New World Versus Old World Same Grape
    4.00- 4.45pm Collection of Entries
    8.00 – 11.30 pm DANCING AND ENTERTAINMENT*
    with Chris Myers. Bingo & Raffles
    PLEASE DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR A GALA EVENING
    TIES SHOULD BE WORN – NO DENIM
    SUNDAY 13TH JUNE –
    11.00 am TROPHY PRESENTATION followed by SUNDAY LUNCH*
    Will all Class Winners please gather for a Group Photograph (only
    winners in person please) before the Presentation of Trophies by the
    Mayor and Consort of Scarborough, in the Ocean room.
    Seating available for non-diners.
    * See Entry/Booking Form for cost & details of items marked *

--------------------------------------------------------------
    The actual rules from the programme:

15. VIRTUAL WINE Classes V1, V2 and V3 only SPECIAL ENTRY PROCESS
    Entries to be bottled in 250 ml PET bottles with purple tops, available at 30p each (+ P&P) from Bob Morton, LDC house , Stuart Road, Pontefract, WF8 4PQ.
    Labels to be applied centrally, and competitors name written below the cover up line Open class wines to have written above the cover line : Major Flavour Ingredient[s], Style and the Sweetness Level [Sweet, Medium or Dry].UCDavis marking system employed Using a 20 point system so the wine is judged against itself and not against other wines as per standard Show Class rules. 18 to 20 awarded Gold, 16-17.5 awarded Silver, 14-15.5 awarder Bronze 12-13.5 awarded Honourable Mention. Bottles either mailed to Bob Morton LDC house , Stuart Road, Pontefract, WF8 4PQ or brought to the show and entered on Friday (see page 2 for times).

Thanks a billion, everyone! It's winemaking season!

M.
    Last edited by Duffbeer; 21-04-2010, 10:20 AM. Reason: Removing hobbywines link
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

entering show from afar was easy as just get bottles from bob fill and send to bob. The only thing to remember if entered in class for particular wine you will only get feedback on top placings if in open class you will get feedback.so my recomendation would only put one in any class except open. and yes I will be entering as was fun and got some great feedback last time
    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Well, I believe this year will be better with the comments, as Bob will have a steward that knows how to type quickly and efficiently.

(me)

So even in the open class you will get comments this time.

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone know.... Virtual Wine Circle is on Twitter @ VirtualWineO

If you sill want to keep up with VWC even if you cannot make it to the meeting, sign up and we'll try to update things on twitter the night of the 1st.

BTW, tell your winemaking friends about our comp at the Yorkshire Federation meeting in Scarborough! Let's make this a good comp!

M.

Comment

I'm not on Twitter and have been trying to avoid it. Do I have to to be?
          Steve

Comment

I'm not on twitter or FB either
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Its fine....you don't need to be on either of those sites, we are just "plugging" it on there

N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Well... too late. I signed up. So I am now officially a "twit" I guess.
                Steve

Comment

not so bad... I just thought that when the comp is running in Scarborough, I could update using twitter for those who are interested.... (and of course those who entered!)

Comment

Cool
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Mrs. G has arranged for us to go out for a meal on 1st May. The table is booked for 7.30.

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Quick, sign up for twitter... Then you can just go to the bathroom a lot and check the status.

Comment

Won't be able to make it I'm afraid, we're going away for the weekend. Glad to see it's still going though

Comment

I won't be able to attend. I am in a local trades fair promoting my business that day. Sorry
                            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I am planning to attend.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X