Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual Wine Circle Competition June 11-13, 2010: Start Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Wine Circle Competition June 11-13, 2010: Start Here!

Do you want an unbiased opinion on your homemade wine?

Then Join us for the Virtual Wine Circle’s International Wine Competition!
    June 11-13th 2010
    The Spa Complex, Scarborough

In conjuction with:
    Yorkshire Federation of Amateur Winemakers and Brewers

Entries to be bottled in 250 ml PET bottles with purple tops, and labels will be provided when the bottles are sent. They are available at 30p each (+ P&P) from:

Please email Bob at bob@winesathome.co.uk or PM him at lockwood1956 on the forum!

[See Entrant's Form for a more detailed description] - http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4435

Labels are to be applied centrally and competitor’s name is to be written below the cover up line.

Open class wines to have written above the cover line:
    Major Flavour Ingredient[s]
    Style and the Sweetness Level [Sweet, Medium or Dry]

UCDavis marking system employed using a 20 point system so the wine is judged against itself and not against other wines as per standard Show Class rules. This means your wine will not be compared to others in the class but rather judged based on it’s own merits!

• 18 to 20 awarded Gold
    • 16-17.5 awarded Silver
    • 14-15.5 awarded Bronze
    • 12-13.5 awarded Honourable Mention

Bottles should either be mailed to Bob Morton (see address above) by June 6th or brought to the show and entered on June 11th.

Bottles will not be returned, unless specifically asked and return postage sent to the PayPal account at: vwc@winesathome.co.uk.

Follow us on Twitter at: VirtualWineO where we will be updating live through the day (will also try to webcam the event!!)

Marking Sheet attached for your perusal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 11-05-2010, 10:05 PM.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Don't wait too long to get your entries in!

Now you can PayPal your bottle fees (30p per bottle and cap and £ 2 for postage and handling) to: vwc@winesathome.co.uk. (be sure to add your name and address and your forum user name if you have one)

Please also don't forget to print out the entry forms and tell your other winemaking friends about the competition, we would love to get over100 bottles if possible!
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 08-05-2010, 05:55 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Just a quick note,

At our premier Virtual Wine Circle Comp we had:
      72+ entries from around the UK, from Inverness to Henfield in West Sussex.

Let's do it!

M.

Comment

OK.........

A further development after discussions with the lovely M this evening.

We will update the comments on your wines as the day progresses, via twitter, "live" find us at virtualwineO

this will enable you to pour a glass of it yourself and see if you agree/disagree with the comments. You will be given an entrant number and then perhaps a letter to be able to discern which wine is being judged.

A new concept, and one which we hope you will find useful. No-one else will know who the winemaker is except you and the entry secretary. (the judge will not be able to see who's wine it is) so you can watch it all unfold as the day progresses.

Because this is all new, and there are three classes running in parallel it wont all be "instant" so we ask for your forbearance, I am really quite giddy at the prospect of breaking new ground, and I hope you all get something out of it. we would welcome your input as to how it was for you (good and bad)

Thank you all for your support, I am so looking forward to this ground breaking event!

regards
        bob
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 11-05-2010, 11:00 PM.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The first rush of bottles and bottle labels are going out today!

Woohoo!

Keep them entries coming!!!

Comment

All went 1st class today, those who have bottles already, I shipped out new labels.

you should all have your stuff by tomorrow!

labels included in the bags containing the bottles. (added extras for everyone)

new label looks like this
            Attached Files
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

During the executive committee meeting of the Yorkshire Federation today I explained what VWC was all about, I was overjoyed at the responses I got from some of the most senior judges in the Federation, very positive, and encouraging about our attempts to freshen things up, and bring wine circles to winemakers, instead of the other way round. The judges training officer was very interested, and Brian Gent on of our most senior Judges wants to help out with judging, and took away (as did many other judges) the VWC marking sheet, so as to be familiar with it come the day, so I dont think we are going to be short of judges

deep joy!

I'm so excited

regards
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Glad to hear there seems to be very little resistance to the idea
                With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Brian Gent (left) and Don Hawkins (right) Mrs Gent in the middle, a rose between two thorns if ever there was one
                  They may be the more senior judges, which makes them a tad older, but it doesn't stop these boys from being progressive.
                  Attached Files
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The PDF shows a different label, and states to write your name on the label.

Do you need the name on the label somewhere?

Do I just make up my own bottle number? (the bit I have to write in myself)

Did I miss the part about the height the label is stuck on? Thought I'd read it somewhere, but can't find it now.

Apart from that, I've got my wine chosen and bottles filled!!

Comment

okay...

The label will be sent to you (has been sent, actually)....
                      The bottles will be carefully marked when they are received with your entrant number. This number will be sent to you through either the forum or through your email.
                      You make up your own bottle letter. Letter the bottles A-F or as many as you have.
                      The label attachment can be found in the "Entrant's Form" download. Please refer to it to label the bottles correctly.

Have I answered everything sufficiently?

I hope so. If there are any other questions, please let me know!

M.

Comment

I am in Germany this weekend, at a beer festival

I am told there are ten parcels waiting for mwe at my place of work, i will notify you all that your wines have arrived when i get the packages home tomorrow night

cheers

Bob
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 23-05-2010, 06:16 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

This was litre number 6

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            This was litre number 6

He looks so happy! lol!
                            Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                            Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                            -Police Squad

Comment

He also got to play with an oompah band in a beer tent in Bavaria!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X