No announcement yet.

VWC Comp is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were some really good wines on show this time, and there were a handful that could rightly be described as World class.

Lots of golds awarded this year.

Mr Gerrard....that Syrah/Viogner would have won in any Red dry class of the weekend, simply stunning!

Spritzer ..your Sloe Gin was fab

Wurzel, your lemon ginger tea bag wine was just wonderful

there were many more that were great that I didn't get to taste as the judges pocketed them and took them with them

But the feedback from judges was that the standard was higher than they had anticipated (I knew they would be fine)

We allowed all present to taste the wines during last nights entertainment, they were a huge hit, and there aren't many of the 176 entries left, those that were, were taken with the Lunch this afternoon.

Well done to you all, if you don't have your results, let me know

regards
    Bob & Martina
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Mr Gerrard....that Syrah/Viogner would have won in any Red dry class of the weekend, simply stunning!

regards
      Bob & Martina
      Thank you for all your effort put in for the event.

Not many of those left.. Might get drinking whilst it's good! It'd be a shame for it to go bad.

Comment

Bottles being enjoyed by Federation Delegates
        Attached Files
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thats your empty bottle of Syrah/Viognier Mr Gerrard, it was passed around quite a few judges, who all commented favourably on its quality.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Well done to you all, if you don't have your results, let me know

regards
            Bob & Martina

Thanks

The Sloe Gin was a bit of an after thought entry, as I couldn't send it what I wanted to send it. Glad I did now

Many thanks
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

It was fab stuff Carole, well done!!
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
                It was fab stuff Carole, well done!!
                Thanks

I wish I didn't have to go to work tonight, otherwise I would have had some myself now

Comment

Wurzel, your lemon ginger tea bag wine was just wonderful
                  OOPS

my mistake, the lemon/ginger tea bag wine was yours Spritzer,

Wurzel I gave you a gold for your bottle 17C

just looking at some results
                  Spritzer.....4 Bottles entered, one bronze, one silver, and two Golds!!!

thats some hit rate
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

just looking at some results
                    Spritzer.....4 Bottles entered, one bronze, one silver, and two Golds!!!

thats some hit rate
                    Recipes and methodology please

The Judge commented that the lemon/ginger tea bag wine was as good a home made table white he had ever had.....praise indeed, from a guy who has been in the game a very long time and won just about everything there is to win .
                    Last edited by lockwood1956; 13-06-2010, 07:48 PM.
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Sat back at home now, with time to reflect, it occurs to me, we have a great many excellent winemakers here at winesathome.

the one issue that was regular was acid levels in white wines (low and high) preventing them being really great wines.

something to think about?
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Recipes and methodology please

The Judge commented that the lemon/ginger tea bag wine was as good a home made table white he had ever had.....praise indeed, from a guy who has been in the game a very long time and won just about everything there is to win .

The lemon/ginger tea bag, was made following a teabag wine recipe, that I think Karl (Duffbear) posted... I think.

The sloe gin ... ...
                        I dont think I wrote down the recipe
                        But followed a thread that I started a couple of years ago, and tweaked it
                        When I have more time... I will double check.....

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post

The lemon/ginger tea bag, was made following a teabag wine recipe, that I think Karl (Duffbear) posted... I think.
                          cool, is it a wine you like too?

I thought it was fabulous
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks for all the effort from all those involved especially Bob and Martina.. I never realised a wine competition 'live' could be so exciting! It even made Twitter enjoyable

Once again many thanks and yes Bob acid does seem the difficult thing to get right.

Andy
                            To err is human.. to drink divine...

Comment

Dear Virtuosos,

Yes, that is what you are. The results were outstanding, the wine was wonderful, and a great deal of fun was had by every single person at the wine competition. Both Bob and I are very proud of every single one of you, and the wines were really of the highest standard. The judges, the skeptics, the stewards and the committee were impressed with YOUR wines. This, in turn, makes us proud, as parents would be of their children who excel in something.
                              To our horror, there WERE some wines that were not judged properly, and were given low scores. This was by NO means that these wines were poorly made or bad, but rather that a judge who had volunteered to judge was not familiar with the marking system or who could not think "outside the box." Please understand that with both of these categories of judges, it does not mean that your wines were bad. If you got a score lower than 8, please flag it up to us, you can send your wines to us for reassessment.
                              Furthermore, I would like to - a bit in our defense - couldn't flag it up as nicely as we would have liked to. I was personally bombarded with marking sheets as early as 9:30, and worked without a real break til about 5:30pm. If a sheet was missed, if you're missing one of your results, please let us know. Also, look in your spam folder from a "medpretzel @ yahoo . com" and you will find your form.

As you see already on this thread, the winemakers at the event were thrilled, curious and enthusiastic about your wines. Many took your wines home with them. One of our highest and most senior member asked us about a winemaker, searched for his entrant number and took all of them home with them. Wurzel, hats off to you. You impressed the show chairman's wife (and organisational guru) to no end with your wines.

There were so many great wines - to be exact, 174 out of 176 - (the two that weren't were from yours truly - both had faults) and you can all pat yourselves on the back.

Please make some notes about how we could do this better the next time around. If it's bottles being sent to you, you sending them to us, the way we posted the results, the judges, the forms, anything that was unclear, anything you'd like us to do next year... Anything. Please let us know.

I would also like to ask you a huge favour: Please consider joining us "in realtime" next year in Scarborough. I am sure Bob already has a date for the next venue. If we go in numbers, it would be absolutely wonderful. The group of winemakers in the Federation are an older group, but they were giddy as young teenagers this weekend because of YOUR wines. They would all love to meet you and get to know the winemakers behind the wines. Perhaps you would like fancy dress, a night of dancing to some great music, and meet the movers and shakers of the home winemaking world. They certainly are dying to meet you!

Thank you, everyone, it was fun and wonderful!
                              Martina
                              Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                              Twitter: VirtualWineO
                              Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Next Years show dates
                                Friday13th to Sunday15th May 2011
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X