Clear All

What's the cost of the hotel next year?
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Originally posted by medpretzel View Post
      Dear Virtuosos
      yes they are
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by ukric View Post
        What's the cost of the hotel next year?
        £145 for three nights fri/sat/sun bed breakfast and evening meal, and it also includes all of your conference tickets, thhe Hotel may be nearly full already, but there are lots of nice hotels close by, including the one we normally stay in (about 50 yards away) the esplanade gardens hotel.

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And its £29 per night B+B at the Esplanade gardens, Derek and Jenny are a lovely couple
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

To note: we wanted to stay there next year, but since we already put a deposit on the room to ensure that the venue would indeed take place there, we couldn't.

Derek and Jenny are great. The breakfast is wonderful, and they are so very accommodating to our needs. They are truly interested in the winemaking venue, even posted a pic where Bob is mysteriously missing from the winners' photo on our door.

M.
            Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
            Twitter: VirtualWineO
            Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by kampervan View Post
              just proves to me youngs chardonay was crap
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

when will the next comp. be
                1gal turbo cider bubbling,1gal easy pineapple bubbling
                4gal elderberry maturing,2gal sugarbeet wine maturing
                1 gal hedgrow wine maturing,
                drinking cyser drinking elderflower

Comment

Originally posted by granda View Post
                  when will the next comp. be

August 14th Pontefract Open Show

we will be discussing it in the flashchat room on sunday evening at 7.30pm uk time

why not join in the conversation
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Wurzel, hats off to you. You impressed the show chairman's wife (and organisational guru) to no end with your wines.
                    I am always surprised that my wines are so well received and was not expecting the results I got at the weekend.....thanks for making it possible
                    Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

Well

all in all it went extremely well, I am so pleased for the support shown by you all, and we are now part of the Yorkshire federation show. This gives members of the vwc rights to enter competitions local to them, as they are a member of a bona fide wine circle, that is affiliated to a Major Federation. Hopefully some of you will enter comps more local to you, and of course still enter the VWC.

On the downside, there were a few hiccups with judges not familiar with the marking system, and therefore not filling in the results sheets properly, and because they took bottles away to their judging stations used for the main show, we were unable to have all of them corrected, Martina was very busy inutting the data as it came in and so had a huge pile of sheets to enter the data from, and by the time the dodgy sheets were inputted the judge had gone, I kept on top of it as best i could, but was quite busy myself, as Ray Hamer (Bolton) and I judges 99 of the bottles between us. so wasnt able to keep as close an eye on things as i would have liked.

If you have a low score, you should have received feedback as to why it scored low, and how to make it better next time. If you got a low score and not much feedback, them im afraid you have one of the rogue forms (thankfully there werent too many,) if this is the case I will happily send you some more bottles for free, and assess your wine for you again. If you have one of these lowly marked wines, please accept my apologies, we have put in place safegaurds to make sure it cant happen again, but it has been invaluable experience and because this is such a new venture i suppose we are bound to have teething problems. The judging system and standard has been the same for a very long time, and we ARE teaching old dogs, new tricks so i ask for your forebearance.

The standard of the entries was extremely high, and the feedback from the management committee of the show, and the judges was very positive, and it is seen by most as a great way to get people involved, and we hope to develop it further.

We are having a vwc meeting this Sunday 29th June at 7.30 pm in the chat room, and look to get feedback from yourselves about how it was for you, and hope to get ideas to improve it for you, the competitors.

We also want to discuss what you would like vwc to provide for its members by way of tutorials etc, and we want to encourage more people to do tutporials, or even share winemaking stories etc......we also need to decide what we want the annual fee to be, what we want it to include, do we have different levels of membership ie competing and non competing, and anything else that would enhance vwc and help it grow.

regards
                      Bob
                      Last edited by lockwood1956; 14-06-2010, 11:03 AM.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        August 14th Pontefract Open Show

we will be discussing it in the flashchat room on sunday evening at 7.30pm uk time

why not join in the conversation
                        Hats off to Bob and Martina for all the work they did (and continue to do) to promote the VWC. It sounds like there were many excellent wines entered in the weekend comp. I tried to follow along on Twitter as best I could, and it was great to see all the commentary in real time.

While I can't attend the Sunday chat meeting (I'll be en route to California), I wanted to let everyone know that I will be in live attendance at the Pontrefact Show in August. I'm very excited about this trip - my first to the UK in almost 7 years - and am looking forward to meeting some of the Wines at Home members, as well as having a "front row seat" to the Show itself.

Suitcase space is a consideration, but I hope to bring a few wines to enter in the competition.

I'm giddy with excitement!
                        Steve

Comment

Yay!!! We're giddy about it too, Steve!

It is a great experience, and you can bring 250 ml bottles for the virtual wine circle (which equals more wines, etc)...

It was a great deal of fun, and now that I have slept off a little bit of my hangover, and have driven over 1000 kilometers, ferry ride behind me, I can honestly say that I can't wait for the next one!

Sorry that the twitter updates became erratic at the end. I realised that I needed to clone myself to get it all done, so the email feedback became my priority.

Bob has the marking sheets - I realized yesterday that I didn't even have the opportunity to look at mine, really. Bob gave me a brief rundown, but it seemed that most judges actually "got it," and only a few bad seeds were there.

So much planned for next year! I can't wait for VWC this sunday to discuss some of the ideas that have been flooding into us since this weekend, from others and from our experience. Again, we'd love to hear your experiences and hear what we can do better/differently for the next one.

Thanks again,

M.
                          (who is also giddy)

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            cool, is it a wine you like too?

I thought it was fabulous

If I am truthful, I didn't like it at all, when I first made it...
                            But a yearish on the wine rack, did improve it.... although, I still wouldn't call it my favourite
                            I dont think I have any left now.... I do still have a spiced apple teabag wine that I made at the same time, which I prefered.

LINKY Karl's original methodology

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                            I am always surprised that my wines are so well received and was not expecting the results I got at the weekend.....thanks for making it possible
                            Ditto... I wasn't expecting anything at all, because it was a rush for me to get things sorted for it.... very pleasantly surprised

I realised that I needed to clone myself to get it all done, so the email feedback became my priority.
                            You would have thought that ClonedBob would have helped you out Martina

I am off to look for the sloe gin recipe, to post
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Thanks for your efforts Bob, Martina et al.

I have only just got back from Le Mans but I picked up my results emails while I was there - it was a good excuse for a celebratory Kronenburg (or twelve) .

I'm beginning to work out how these comps work - of all the bottles you enter, you have high hopes for one or two: they come nowhere and the one which you just threw in to make up the numbers does really well

Must go and have a 20 minute shower now
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Hahahaha!

Good job, Pete!
                                I was secretly rooting for your wines, as you were so reluctant to enter them in!

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                                X