X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger Beer Fixed Recipe

OK

For VWC comps we decided we would add a ginger beer, so you could involve your children or grandchildren, and introduce them to the wonders of fermentation.

Martina posted a tutorial for a ginger beer which works extremely well at home, however, it needs toi be drunk very early as there is still residual sugar present, and if left any length of time, the bottles would likely become over-carbonated.

So I wanted to put together a ginger beer tutorial for one that could safely be sent in the post, and that had no danger of re-fermenting and causing exploding bottles. So will ferment to dry (using up all of the sugars) then prime to achieve the carbonation, adding artificial sweeteners if necessary.

I have run two batches side by side, one using wine yeast and one using bread yeast. I will try them bot dry, medium, and sweet and see what we have at the end.

Please post any questions regarding this tutorial in the general beer section

many thanks
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Recipe and methodology:

For a 4 litre batch:

4 tablespoons of grated ginger (grate as fine as you can)
    4 oz Sugar (to achieve SG of 1.010)
    Juice of 2 lemons
    Zest of 1 lemon
    1 tsp Pectolase (might not be needed, but i add it to everything these days)
    yeast nutrient
    Yeast (trials will determine if bread yeast or wine yeast is better)

Preparing in a bucket is easiest, then transfer to DJ when must is completed.

Grate the ginger, and place in the bucket with the sugar, pour on 1 litre boiling water and stir till all the sugar is dissolved, add the juice of two lemons and the zest of 1 lemon (no pith!) top up to 4 litres with cold water, and when cooled add the yeast nutrient, the pectolase and the yeast.

Ferment to dry, then rack and bottle priming each 250 ml bottle with 1/4 tsp sugar. For the medium sweet batches add 1/2 tsp non fermentable sugar, and for the sweet batch add 1 tsp non fermentable sugar (if using artificial sweeteners, ensure there are no stabilisers in there that will prevent carbonation)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-06-2010, 12:26 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Not sure how dry it will go, but we will see, but was aiming for around 1% to 2% alc

sorry about dodgy hydrometer pic (and the eagle eyed among you will notice the scales pic reads 8oz, that's because i did a double batch)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-06-2010, 12:52 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The lemon juicer and the lemon zester were £1 each from Morrisons....great value, and save such a lot of mess.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ok

its now fermenting at a furious rate...

shouldn't take long to whip through 4 oz of sugar
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
          X