More "elderflower" Q's......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More "elderflower" Q's......

Ok, so at this time of year, I must have read about every possible Q about elderflower, both the "champagne" and cordial (and other preservation of elderflower).

I'm not big on flower based stuff - I have too many bad memories of "parma violet" sweets......

Foul things, developed by some really nasty type with no sense of taste (IMO of course).

So which is the best ingredient for "wine making"?

Elder flower?

Or leave the pretty little flowers alone and let them develop into those mean little buggers, with fruit flavour, tannins and various other qualities that are beneficial to wines (particularly red wines of course) ????

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

yes indeed - wait for the berry's.
    Then make red wine (which is very good) and of course RED. As apposed to that other paler, nasty, white stuff, that was probably invented by the same chap as parma violets !!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

You can harvest the flowers, and still have berries later, just shake the florets loose, and berries will develop later. Elderflower bouquet is fantastic...

Elderberries are simply unbeatable as a winemaking ingredient.

Edwin T Belt in his book shows that from a winemaking point of view they are superior in every way to grapes apart from sugar content.

A good elderberry wine is a complete joy

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

This is my first year of winemaking and Ive been sampling the elderflower champagne ive bottled... it is absolutely gorgeous! (very very very fizzy though, am having to burp the bottles regularly)
        The elderflower wine is coming on nice too.

Have yet to experience the berries so have left plenty out there to come good in the autumn.

Comment

Which recipe are you using?

Hugh Fearnley half Whitingstalls recipe is dangerous in the extreme as it is bottled waaaaaaaaaaaaay to early creating the chance of glas hand grenades

sparkling wine MUST be bottled in cchampagne or Cava bottles, they are the only type that can take the pressure.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
          X