Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual Wine Circle Competition - Questions to our Entrants!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Wine Circle Competition - Questions to our Entrants!

A quick question regarding a possible NEW AND IMPROVED judging / comments...

I did a bit of brainstorming, mentioned this to Bobby, and thought I'd ask what you, the entrants, think about it.

We all know that the comments about our wines are never enough....

Writing is a bit meticulous....

Would you like digital versions of your comment sheets? Would you like to hear the comments of the judges WHILE they are testing your wines?

What I was thinking is this - and please any comments (both positives and negatives to this) are appreciated:

I was thinking that the judge records his voice on an MP3 player for the general/overall comments. These are the brainstorming pro's and cons I have on this. What do you think?

Pros:
    He doesn't have to write
    He might give you more detailed comments because he doesn't have to write.
    Not that much paper-shuffle for the organisational aspect.

Cons:
    He doesn't have to write
    He might give you more detailed comments because he doesn't have to write (!!)
    It would take longer to get the comments out to you (no live twitter updates)
    Operator error (worried about this one)
    More computer mishaps, etc, etc.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

He could use an MP3 and have someone who can do shorthand to write down the comments in case of human/computer errors. 2 MP3's? Just incase 1 fails.
    Personaly I'd like a snap shot of the judges face as he drinks it..Thats a good enough critique for me =]

Nia xxx
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Originally posted by cariad66 View Post
      personaly i'd like a snap shot of the judges face as he drinks it..thats a good enough critique for me =]
      Too funny

Steve

Comment

Thats exactly what i had in mind Steve LOLOL

Nia xxx
        Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

I think it's a fantastic idea, in theory.

I think it would give a better sense of a judges appreciation or not as you can get a lot from tone of voice in addition to what is actually said.

I personally would rather wait to have more detailed (in terms of what the judge says) feedback rather than points based with short comments, the trade off being that it's slower to arrive.

So I would be more than happy to receive an mp3 file.

However, it could be a logistical nightmare.

1.) Training each judge how to operate the recording device. Time consuming?
          2.) Ensuring each judge says the right thing on the recording for the entry to be identified.
          3.) The number of recorders required (how many different judges judged the 176 bottles from the first competition in the end?) would this mean a big outlay?
          4.) If the voice recording was say 500kb each that's still nearly 88Mb, working on 176 entries (take off a few 24kb) which dependant upon signal for mobile broadband may take a while to send, unless you do it at home, the wait might not be such a big issue for some.

If there's a way to get over these things then great, I'd like to see/hear this idea put into practice.
          With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

think it is a great idea and that ukric has covered most of what i thought. Training and outlay would only be at beginning so would get better as time goes on. I would be happy to wait till next day for results.
            http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
            http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Great Idea.

I use an olympus digital dictaphone at work all the time and the quality and file sizes are relatively tiny. Talking is a thousand times easier than typing.

Although the unedited comments may be a little harsh

cheers

Mark

http://markblades.com
              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

I did have another thought on this, I know you mentioned previously webcaming it, would it be possible bandwidth permitting to do video judging of each entrants entries at once?

Seen as how there is now one open class this means that entries in different classes no longer need to be judged separately.

1 Webcam, judge the entries for that entrant, then move on to the next in a separate video file.

The only other downside I can see to this would be the time it takes to sit each judge down and judge, but the steward could be the same and therefore no training of the judges would be needed. This gets rid of the need for outlay as a computer with a webcam is all that's needed, save the files to a folder with the entrant number, all that then remains is to 'deliver' them somehow.

Or am I barking... up the wrong tree?
                With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Working...
                X