What say ye?, to a formal qualification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
    What you don't want is a split from the national federation leading to a VWC which isn't publicised and showcased at the regional and national competitions and ends up the poorer for it.
    Well I'm not sure about this....the people entering VWC are for the most part people who wouldn't go to a wine circle, or enter a federation or national show, so I'm not really sure what to think. I'm not sure we would gain much publicity as they don't really advertise the events outside of the #Federations anyway.

Certainly bears some thought though, but starting to think that maybe if we had our own judges, and we got home brew stores involved, then their customers could get the bottles from the HBS and a regional judge could drop into store and judge.

All still pie in the sky, and all ideas and opinions welcomed.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yes - I would like to get involved and certainly up for a qualification. How would it likely work without you judging your own wine and not necessarily seeing the faults.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        ... and a regional judge could drop into store and judge.
        - great idea.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Didn't take that bit in, thanks. My local wine shop is in Aldershot so not too far. Only a few (yorkshire) miles.
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

is it too late for me to join in???

nia xxx
            Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

it's never too late
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Training

So,

there has been enough interest shown to make this a worthwhile venture.

the theory part of the "course" will be home study, focussing on winemaking technique, i will put together a multiple choice question paper, and a recommended reading list. this will evolve as we progress, but will base it on stuff I did with Karl and Richard (for it worked)

practical stuff is a little trickier, but will consist of ...

basic smells
                basic tastes
                wine evaluation, judging technique and wine fault recognition

more details to follow

this will hopefully be helpful to those of you wishing to make better wine, and to perhaps take the skills to a new level by maybe becoming a federation or even eventually a National Judge.

more discussion next Sunday at VWC meeting 7.30pm UK time, in the chatroom
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM.
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                X