Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question!

For those (most of you) who are not members of a "real" wine circle, please answer this post for me. Thanks!
    Wine snobbery
    0%
    Stricter driving laws
    0%
    No knowledge of wine circles in your area
    0%
    Wanting to stay at home
    0%
    Internet is where I get my information
    0%
    All of the Above
    0%
    None of the above (please explain, if you'd like)
    0%
    I am a member of a "real" wine circle (please tell me how great it is?)
    0%
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Of course, you can answer multiple items if you'd like.

I'd like to know why you aren't a member of a "real" wine circle. Just for my personal statistics, as you know I'm really in to them!

Martina

Comment

Wine circle is great because you get to sample other peoples wines, get them to sample yours and give you feedback, you get to see talks on winemaking subjects, and you get to attend wine shows and social functions, like the one I was just at in Telford this weekend, great fun and lovely people who share the same hobby.

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I did call the organisers of the 2 most local to me, Pontypridd and Bridgend. Both said they are too old to be bothered to make wine anymore so they still meet up monthly and bring supermarket wine and sit about drinking and discussing the fact that you can buy 3 bottles for a tenner from the local garage!
        I was gutted to be honest!

Nia XXX
        Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Originally posted by Cariad66 View Post
          I did call the organisers of the 2 most local to me, Pontypridd and Bridgend. Both said they are too old to be bothered to make wine anymore so they still meet up monthly and bring supermarket wine and sit about drinking and discussing the fact that you can buy 3 bottles for a tenner from the local garage!
          I was gutted to be honest!

Nia XXX
          Chuffin hell
          Thats shocking !!
          I too, would have been gutted
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I voted none

I voted none because I only really make grape wine. Which is only once a year. My local HBS's seem to attract a funny crowd - when I mention grapes they look at me blank, with a sort of 'WHAT!' expression.

I am a however a member on a Smallholder group, which has a good share of wine and cider makers many of which (myself included) contribute to the monthly magazine AND we might even manage a mini grapefest. Perhaps we should call it a 'pipfest'
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Their is also a chap on the inter-rant that asks you to send an SAE and stamps. By return he will send you your closest circle(s). Wrong (not in my experience anyhow)
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Me ? I went for the "none of the above" option.....

Why? Because I don't really care if others like my efforts or not - as long as I'm happy with it, then AFAIC, that's all that matters....

In truth, I don't get the time anyway. If the local lot had a reasonable web presence, well that would allow me to participate some, but they don't. So that's out of the question.

I don't "do" competitions either - not really a competitive person....

Plus I'm quite happy chatting with you lot in the semi-informal way that WAH (and other forums for that matter) are run. I (well, "we" really) try to be helpful, by explaining stuff that I (or we) have learned etc, but that can be done without getting too anal about it - as has been my experience when getting involved with more formal, focused interest groups that meet up etc.....

Just my POV and in no way meant as a criticism of wine circles et al......

regards

jtfb

p.s. besides, I don't have the ability to explain why it is that I might like something, over another i.e. I quite like meads, but also heavier "chewy" reds of the Bordeaux/Burgundy type and I'm more of an armagnac person, than a cognac person - but why that might be, I don't really have any idea - so I'm not the person to ask about the quality of someone elses efforts.....
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

we only need 2 more votes for 'None' and we will be in the lead!

JFB: vote couple more times and we could win this!!

Comment

Officially, I am a member of Pontefract wine circle, but honestly, I do not go to the meetings due to distance. I love wine circle because I learn about a lot of different aspects of winemaking, but I really do love to go to all the functions (comps, meetings, etc) because of the people there. I was at Telford Festival this weekend, and they're motto is something I totally agree with: "Winemaking is Friendmaking" and that is so true. The people you meet and talk to are such wonderful people, that it's so much fun to meet up with them at comps like these. We talk wine, hydrometers, joke about, all sorts of things. I wish there would be a wine circle in Germany, but I don't have that luxury. That's why I think VWC is so great.

I certainly hope we can get some of you (ahem... all of you!) to come to GrapeFest this September. It's a load of fun, learning is great, and of course the company is even better!

Roll on, GrapeFest and Wine Circle!

Comment

Working...
                    X