Wine No.1 & Gooseberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine No.1 & Gooseberry

Spritzer requested that I post this recipe. It is based on the ubiquitous Wine No.1(http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1562). it was stage 1 of my attempts to create a repli-riesling; howoever, it is NOTHING like a riesling, and is a lot closer to a Sauv Blanc.

It can be drunk early and has won a Gold and a Bronze in the first two VWC competitions, so I must be doing something right!

To make 5 litres:

* 1 litre Tesco Value Apple juice
    * 1.5 litre Tesco Pure Pressed White Grape Juice
    * 1lb 7oz sugar approx
    * 1 tsp Tronozymol
    * 1.5tsp Citric acid
    * Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast (aka Gervin D)
    * 1 Vitamin B1 tablegt
    * 300g tin Hartleys ooseberries
    * 2tsp Pectolase

I used a 5 litre plastic fermenter, initially making the must up to 1.088 in 4.5 litres (leaving 0.5 litres headspace for initial vigorous fermentation). This equates to around 1.080 in 5 litres.

So, proceed in the usual manner, dissolving the sugar in boiling water, allow to cool, add to the fermenter with the apple juice, grape juice, Tronozymol (or other good nutrient), citric acid and the crushed B1 tablet (yes, I know , Tronozymol has B1 in it, but it is just force of habit ).

NotE: I haven't added the Gooseberries or Pectolase yet.

Rehydrate the yeast and pitch once the must temperature is in the range 18 - 25c ish.

After a couple of days the fermentation should have settled down - once it has, top the 5 litre fermenter right up with water (I used the cooled boiled variety).

Now leave it alone and allow it to ferment right out.

Once it has, rack it to another 5 litre fermenter, degas it, stabilise it with sulphite and potassium sorbate. You will need the latter to prevent refermentation.

Add the juice from the 300g tin of Gooseberries. Don't add the fruit. The juice adds a little bit of sweetness and, in my opinion, most of the flavour. The juice should more-or-less make up the volume you lost when you racked. Add 2 tsp Pectolase and mix well. This should deal with the pectin which the gooseberries have introduced.

Make sure the fermenter is fully topped up and put somewhere cool to clear.

I find that it probably won't clear completely on its own, so after a few days I normally have to add a ml or two of Kwik Clear, and it will clear completely in a few days.

That's it - once clear it is ready to bottle (I always filter first), and a month later you can drink it. Try to leave it 3 months if you can.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

This makes very tasty wine indeed.....

I would liken it to a Hock style
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks Pete
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Hartleys Goosberrys

Apparently Hartleys no longer do tins of goosberys as they sold all that stuff to Princess Foods. I did however try this recipe using a tin of goosberys from ASDA. These are in apple juice and not syrup but I used them just the same. I was worried that the wine maybe too dry and a little to apple flavoured. My reservations were unfounded having now tasted it prior to bottling.
        Absolute fantastic recipe.

Thanks Pete

Comment

We aim to please
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

I provided this recipe to the good boys and girls of chantry wine circle in january for their October fixed recipe competition which I judged on Wednesday night last....

great wine produced by this recipe

well done Pete
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

One imagines this would work well with other juices from tins then. Plenty of opportunities for even more experimentation with WN1 there!

Comment

goosbery for strawberry

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                We aim to please
                Hi Pete
                If I replace the goosberry syrup for strawberry syrup will I need to adjust the amount of citric acid needed.

Comment

If the sugar content of each is about the same then I doubt you'd need to do anything with acid. Even if they are a bit out I think you'll be fine...

Comment

Yep, agreed.

The volume of syrup compared to the overall volume of wine is pretty low, so it probably won't make much difference.
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                      One imagines this would
                      work well with other juices from tins then. Plenty of opportunities for even more experimentation with WN1 there!
                      Works with lychee and strawberry!

Comment

Yep, agreed.

The volume of syrup compared to the overall volume of wine is pretty low, so it probably won't make much difference.
                        Thanks for the help

Comment

I have found some supermarket goosberrys and 300gm tin on the label it says 12gms of sugar per 100gms I presume that that's fruit and all. So if I just add the juice which is described as a light syrup then I wont be adding a lot of sugar.

Can someone confirm?
                          Malc

Comment

IMO most of the sugar is in the syrup.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

IMO most of the sugar is in the syrup.
                              If most of the sugar is in the syrup then what sort of SG does it end up with
                              Malc

Comment

Working...
                              X