Modified Fruity Karl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified Fruity Karl

Modified Fruity Karl (MFK) - based on the Fruity Karl recipe created by Duffbeer some time ago, with a tweak suggested by him and a couple of my own.

It is a 'use what you can find in the cupboard' wine, hence the use of 'standard' and 'value' apple juice - it was just what I had available at the time, and I'm sure you could use a different combination, or indeed any other variety of apple juice.

I have made two batches. The first was low in acid, so I increased it for the second batch. The second batch is still young, and I may have gone a little too far with the acid, so you may want to go for something in between.

The result is a cheap, fruity, early-drinking wine. It is OK after just a month in the bottle, but does change a lot over 6 months or so. To me it tastes of melon, even though there is no melon in the recipe .

As usual, please my use of mixed units of measure.

For 5 gallons:

* 2l Tesco Pure Pressed White Grape Juice
    * 1l Tesco apple juice
    * 1l Tesco Value Apple Juice
    * 4 tins Tesco Pear Quarters
    * 5 tins Tesco Peach halves
    * 1 tin Tesco value mandarin (320g?)
    * 1 tin Tesco Rhubarb (525g)
    * 1 tin Del Monte Mixed Fruit (415g?)
    * 1 tin Apple (385g)
    * 8lb sugar approx
    * 5tsp Ritchies liquid grape tannin
    * 4tsp yeast nutrient (plus 0.5tsp in starter)
    * 5 tsp Bentonite
    * Water to about 24l
    * 5 tsp Pectolase
    * Lalvin K1V-1116 or 71B-1122 yeast
    * Acid: version 1 = 3tsp citric , version 2 = 2oz citric, 4tsp tartaric

The method is basically 'chuck it all in', but I made a yeast starter to make sure it got off to a flying start.

I put all the tinned fruit into a large straining bag. This kept all the solids contained and allowed the juice/syrup into the must.

Aim for a starting SG of around 1.080, and about 24 litres of liquid (i.e. without the straining bag full of solids).

In both batches I have made, the fermentation did get a bit smelly a couple of days in, but this went away of its own accord.

Ferment in a large fermenter until the SG is down to 1.010 ish, then lift the straining bag out and allow to drain into the fermenter for a short while, rack into a carboy or Better Bottle. If the carboy is not quite full you could give the bag of solids a GENTLE squeeze, but no more than that.

Ferment to dry, degas, stabilise, clear and bottle as normal.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba
Working...
X