Chilean Merlot recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilean Merlot recipe

whilst i have been away for so long the wife has started to enjoy drinking the chilean merlot wines as they are very fruity and very quenching.
    the down side is i can at the moment only produce , earthy reds, does anyone know a good wine recipe that produces this sort of wine, i have tried to go down the tea route but we are not quite there

i was wondering about using tea bags and grape juice or fruit juices.

any suggestions??
    Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Merlot grapes from grapefest?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

There you go.

The ONLY way to make Merlot is from Merlot grapes.
      Steve

Comment

sorry lads but you have missed the point, i dont do wine from grapes unless i am forced to and even then i still class it as scraping the bottom dregs

here is a point,
        one of the greatest books i have at home in my large library collection is from the two wine writers/demigods, Bryan Acton and Peter Duncan, but this book was writen the early mid 1970's and published in the 1980's well before the NEW world wines realy came on stream.
        so whilst they have designs on all the wines from france germany and europe there is no austrailian or chilian, may be its time to get a rewriten version published.

my whole wine making set up is the idea to play test ,trial, and generary muck up with recipes, where as with a grape base all you can do is squish and ferment, sorry but, nice wine and all that but why limit your selves to the easier set up, grape have never floated my boat ever, just no interest at all.

I would love to go to grape fest to meet every one and to have good time and to help with the making of the wine, i would love to go grape picking to, but thats were it stops realy

yes i know there are going to be thousands now asking for my head on the block etc and realy i dont mind, grapes are not my thing .

one of the best wines i have produced this year is a pineappple and honey wine and the standard house stock of dry german wine from rhubarb and elderberry flowers with added tea bags for that little more.

Sorry rant over

so thats me down as a heretic lets try again

Iam trying to make a melot style wine with lots of soft fruity tastes but at the moment i am starting from a wine base using strawberry , elderberry,logun and rasphberry tea producing a soft rose, with a low ish acl of 12% and a suger level around 1002sg when finished but i cant seem to get the water melon taste in it what would i need to add to the recipe

what do we use as a water melon flavouring
        Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Pete - my Grapefest comment was a joke, hence the at the end. I know you feelings about grapes .

Anyway ....
          I think you are going to struggle to replicate a specific grape variety from a specific location. I would probably start from a 50/50 STEAM-JUICED elderberry and blackberry mix (steam-juiced to reduce and smooth the tannins out). Strawberries would be good too, and just a little raspberry (it can overpower everything else).

The only thing that I can guarantee a melon flavour from is my MFK recipe, but that has no melon in it!

It would be great if you could make it to Grapefest. We would do our best to assimilate you
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by hedgerow View Post
            what do we use as a water melon flavouring
            It might not be what you are looking for....
            But I recently made a variation of a wine number one, using a carton of Rubicon watermelon juice, which tasted very watermelon-y.
            Last edited by spritzer; 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM.
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I guess I'm just missing the point.

You asked for a Chilean Merlot recipe, and when it was suggested to use Merlot grapes, you ranted at us.

If I want to make tomato sauce, I start with tomatoes. I wouldn't start with pomegranates, because then it wouldn't be tomato sauce.

If I want to make a roast beef, then I would first purchase a cut of beef. A slab of tofu or bag of potatoes might make an edible dish but you couldn't call it roast beef.

To make Merlot, you need Merlot grapes. Period. To use tea bags and fruit juice might make a palatable drink, but it's not remotely Merlot. And I would beg to differ that making wine from grapes is just a matter of squishing them up.

But maybe that's just me.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                Merlot grapes from grapefest?
                BIngo - but please hold the teabags!!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

firstly a massive appology about the rant it was wrong and unintentional and i got it wrong.

yep iam anti grape but not hard core i just love making wines from hedgerows rather than grapes, i personaly feel i have more oppurtunities to various a recipe with other stuff and grapes can for me be to exspensive or to difficult to get right.
                  also i was brought up on the two heros that wrote the bokk making wines like those you buy where these two men started to produce wines from hedgerow ingrediants to produce old world style wines, so i have decided to follow on in there foot steps. but i am lacking the knowldge of the ingrediant effects.

so i will try again but accordingly reworded.

the wife likes the taste of a merlot wine, it has a good soft taste that has a fruity after taste with little tanin side effects and a fairly low sugar and alc levels almost a fruit drink rather than a wine. she fines it a very refreshing wine to drink

so in the kitchen experiement area, i have started to play with differant ingredients to match this as most of my reds come over to tanin or too earthly ( very french)

i have started to play with the ingreediants below to try to get it but it still lacks the sweet watermelon flavours on the tongue for the finish.

recipe 1
                  strawberries 200 gm
                  elderberry 400gm( with 10mls of gyserin added to it to remove tanin levels)
                  logun berries 250gm.
                  raspberries 200gm
                  rhubarb 1kilo
                  i have also added on the ferment a bag of four tea bags ,fruit tea black currant for taste and for smell improvement but the tea bags are only in for seven days.
                  but still no water melon finish.

recipe two
                  was four logun berry and strawbery tea bags with four black currant tea bags and 450ml of elderberry juice and a kilo of rhubarb, not a bad wine but far to much tanin levels and i put far to much sugar in it and it was either sugar syrup or blow your head off strong brew, but a fantastic colour!!! but still no water melon finish

so what i need is someone to suggest what the top recipe can be done with to produce the require style of wine that i want and more importantly the finish to the taste buds.

again to everyone who read or answered the first text i apologize for writing it incorrectly and if it came over in anyway offensive again i am sorry,

pete

Comment

when is grapefest anyway

Comment

25th September. Be quick to get an order to Bob though, he's pre ordering and they are being delivered on the day. No spares available on the day.

Comment

No offence at all taken here - just banter.

25th sept at Bob's. Bring a couple of bottles!
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

No offense taken, just trying to understand...

When I think of Merlot, I think of dark fruits. To me it has a predominant blackcurrant flavor, so that could be a good start (Ribena?). Blueberries or bilberries might also contribute to the proper flavor profile.
                          Steve

Comment

Can't give you a recipe, but what about adding blackberries and cherries in the mix? Merlot often has a cherry finish. Rhubarb for acid a balance.
                            Perhaps some vanilla too although this would probably be better added after ferment and very gently at that.
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

thanks for the tips, i know we have a recipe section but most of the recipes are allready writen. is there anyone else on the forum does recipe experiments other than tweeking recipes, but from scratch

Comment

Working...
                              X