Grapefest 2010 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefest 2010 Ferments

Add your numbers etc in here for easy finding!

Monte : SG 1.080, acid 3.7

6 trays, 10ml Trenolin rouge DF,

Merlot : SG 1.088, acid 3.5

6 trays, 10ml Trenolin rouge DF,

Trebiano : SG 1.100, Acid very low for white at 3ppm, tartaric added to 6ppm

1 tray, rhop P added, left on skins for 24hrs, pressed and settled.
    Last edited by Rich; 27-09-2010, 08:17 AM.

Merlot : 1094 @21C

Hmmmm. I got my acid to come out at 5.7ppt. I'm going to double check.
    Last edited by koomber; 26-09-2010, 09:19 PM.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
      Merlot : 1094 @21C

Hmmmm. I got my acid to come out at 5.7ppt. I'm going to double check.
      Is that 5.7 as tartaric or as sulphuric? Rich's were the latter.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I'll be double checking it all in the morning before doing anything.

Comment

Just checked again. Binned the poxy little test tube (test tubes: there is a reason they use them for making babies. and not in the fun way) and went for a marstons strong ale bottle instead. Diluted it right back with some of our fine Scottish water to remove all trace of red. Re did the test and got 4.2ppt TA Sulfuric. Which comes in at 6.5ppt Tartaric.

Check here to see what your values mean for your wine.
          -Police Squad

Comment

My white has settled overnight, and despite being sulphited has started to ferment on it's own! So, think i'll leave that a few days before deciding what yeast to put in. (It is only 1 tray, and was bought as an experiment) it may end us as strong sweet desert wine.

Starters have been pitched in the reds. Think I'll wait to do any acid additions to these until after pressing and the final volumes etc are known.

Comment

Done a 70 / 30 blend of the Merlot & Monty..........a bit worried as none of the wines (inc the Trebbiano) have started to ferment, yeast was added at about 2pm yesterday, maybe its just too cold in the garage.

Will check again when I get back from work today

Comment

Cash, I got some temperature into the musts by making the opposite of ice-bombs ... hot water bombs.

I delabelled and sanitised some 2 litre pop bottles, filled them with hot water and pushed them into the must. It got at least some of the must warm enough for fermentation to start.
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Now that is a good idea. Cheers for the tip.
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                    Cash, I got some temperature into the musts by making the opposite of ice-bombs ... hot water bombs.

I delabelled and sanitised some 2 litre pop bottles, filled them with hot water and pushed them into the must. It got at least some of the must warm enough for fermentation to start.

Thanks Pete.............Will try that when I get home...wished I had kept my brewing belt now

Comment

Thanks everyone, especially Bob and Martina. Suffice to say I was pretty tired yesterday morning so it was a slow start .

Anyway I got home, cleaned everything up and pitched etc.

SGs (both musts at 16 deg, hydrometer recently calibrated)
                      Monte 1.080
                      Merlot 1.108.

Merlot seems to be very far out but I measured twice. Anyway at 16% ABV likely I need to dilute it a bit.

Look forward to the videos, I think.
                      Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I measured the Trebbiano at 3g/l (or ppm) expressed as tartaric, and the SG a WHOPPING 1.110

Diluted my 12 gallon batch with 2 gallons supermarket grape juice, which dropped the SG to 1.100

had to add 3 gals water to get it down to 1.080 (well its 1.78 but near enough)

so now have 17 gallon batch at 1.080 but the acidity is 2g/l

so will add tartaric acid at a rate of 5 g/l to get it where it needs to be, and hope all works well.

i make that 77.18 litres and 5 g/l is 385.9 grams tartartic acid (yoiks!!)

someone check my figures please...will leave it till after work tonight to do the additions, and will add in stages, but thats a whole heap of acid.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          I measured the Trebbiano at 3g/l (or ppm) expressed as tartaric, and the SG a WHOPPING 1.110

Diluted my 12 gallon batch with 2 gallons supermarket grape juice, which dropped the SG to 1.100

had to add 3 gals water to get it down to 1.080 (well its 1.78 but near enough)

so now have 17 gallon batch at 1.080 but the acidity is 2g/l

so will add tartaric acid at a rate of 5 g/l to get it where it needs to be, and hope all works well.

i make that 77.18 litres and 5 g/l is 385.9 grams tartartic acid (yoiks!!)

someone check my figures please...will leave it till after work tonight to do the additions, and will add in stages, but thats a whole heap of acid.
                          Are you measuring in Sulfuric or Tartaric?
                          -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                            Merlot 1.108.
                            Are you sure there were no solids in the jar? That can affect the reading a lot. I think most people are getting readings in the 1.088 - 1.094 range.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              FermCalc agrees on the acid. 17 gals = 77.something litres, so to get it up to 7g/l, that looks correct too.

I spoke to Rich this morning and he reckons his was 3g/l too. I'm about to measure mine.

EDIT: Tempranillo SG around 1.086
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X